Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adaptive cruise control

Aldino

Yesterday I drove my Yaris Cross and turned on the adaptive cruise control because sometimes it's easier to drive. I was talking on the phone on bluetooth and my concentration was not 100% In one moment, the car in front of me suddenly braked..My Yaris Cross reacted quickly and the safety system suddenly braked quickly  ,but my car locked the wheels and there was a tire screeching sound. The car behaved as if it had no ABS system .I'm afraid I did  damage the brakes or any other components on the car. It was not a high speed, about 40-45 miles speed .I have a feeling that the adaptive cruise control is very sensitive in the Yaris Cross. 

Be grateful that the technology did it's job as it's supposed to and saved you a lot of hassle. 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Aldino said:

I have a feeling that the adaptive cruise control is very sensitive in the Yaris Cross. 

Be glad something at least was paying attention. Surely the important point here is to stop talking on your telephone when you're driving. And/or don't drive so close to vehicles in front.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Aldino said:

My Yaris Cross reacted quickly and the safety system suddenly braked quickly  ,but my car locked the wheels and there was a tire screeching sound. The car behaved as if it had no ABS system .

You can get a tyre screeching sound when the ABS activates due to the way the system responds as each individual brake is applied & released rapidly depending on the feedback from the individual wheel speed sensors. 

Remember ABS is ALL about allowing the driver to maintain directional control while also braking, in some circumstances overall braking distances can be longer with ABS activated! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

And/or don't drive so close to vehicles in front.

He was using the adaptive cc, so that's perhaps a bit unfair. I'd hope Toyota haven't made it able to follow too close.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Aldino said:

I'm afraid I did  damage the brakes or any other components on the car. It was not a high speed, about 40-45 miles speed

No problem. They can handle a hard stop from much higher speeds, though they may smell or smoke a little afterwards.

Repeated hard braking (very enthusiastic driving), or long, strep long hill descents can be a problem, though it's more likely to be fade that happens so you lose braking power and the damage is when you then hit something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dependent on the age of YC it has either a 3 or 5 level setting for the following distance for the adaptive cruise 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links