Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car repair estimates (advice needed)

Gabriel Guérin

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I’m from France. I need some advice. I'm currently in Spain and I took my car (2006 TOYOTA AYGO 1.0l VVTI SPORT) to a Toyota mechanic after hearing a weird noise, and they gave me two estimates for repairs.

The first estimate was about 250€. The origin of the noise came from the timing belt (as I expected when I first brought it to the mechanic). Then, I also asked them to check the AC because it wasn't working, but it’s not urgent nor necessary for me. Then they sent me a new estimate of approximately 1,000€! They said they needed to change the whole AC compressor, which, according to them, is necessary, even for the good functioning of the timing belt and motor.

I originally brought the car in to change the timing belt. I don't understand why they now say it's necessary to change the AC compressor for the car to work properly. I just want other people's opinions on this. Is it really necessary? Otherwise, I prefer just changing the timing belt and sticking with the first estimate.

I'll share both estimates with you. The first one is what they sent initially, and the second one is after checking the AC. They claim that without changing the AC compressor, the new timing belt will break. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

second_estimate.jpg

first_estimate.jpg

If the AC compressor wheel/bearing is not working correctly, then it'll need changing to prevent damage to the belt. And if you are changing the belt usually you would also change the other pulleys (idle & tensioners), and the water pump too (if that is belt driven) to prevent other pulleys failing and also taking out the belt. 

This engine is a timing chain though, not a belt. So this will only be the ancillary equipment being ran from the belt. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your quick reply @DJ123. I have some doubts now. From the first part of your message, I think the second estimate I sent, which costs about a thousand euros, is correct. But in the second part of your message, it seems like changing the AC compressor might not be necessary. Maybe I can just change the timing chain.

Could you please clarify the best option for me? I want to make sure I can use the car for at least a year and a half, as I want to sell it by December 2025.

I cannot see the compressor, nor know why they need to replace it. I would ask them if it because the compressor is broken, or there's an issue with it. As above, if there is an issue it needs to be changed. 

If you want a cheap way out, i would suggest asking if a non AC auxiliary belt kit exists so you can take AC out the equation (financially, and the belt loop) and can drive the car without AC, but all the other components working. 

• Like 1

@DJ123 here are their 3 messages:

Message 1:

Broken belt due to air conditioning compressor breakage, i.e. the replacement of the air conditioning compressor is absolutely necessary for the proper functioning of the vehicle.

Message 2:

Unfortunately the new belt will break again as soon as the vehicle leaves the workshop if the compressor issue is not solved.

Message 3:

The belt moves the compressor, so being blocked it will damage the belt again in minutes, breaking it.

I will indeed ask them if a non-AC auxiliary belt kit exists so that I can take the AC out of the equation (financially, and the belt loop) and drive the car without AC, but all the other components work. 

54 minutes ago, Gabriel Guérin said:

@DJ123 here are their 3 messages:

Message 1:

Message 2:

Message 3:

I will indeed ask them if a non-AC auxiliary belt kit exists so that I can take the AC out of the equation (financially, and the belt loop) and drive the car without AC, but all the other components work. 

Yes , you can buy a shorter belt 6PK850 and fit without going the ac compressor. Remember once you have eliminate the ac system, then after some time if you want to have a working ac again it might require  more parts to replace. You can just put a new belt within ac compressor change now and when you go back home there are used ac compressors options on eBay

• Like 1

Auxiliary Belt with A/C = 6PK1210

Auxiliary Belt without A/C = 6PK850

The Pulley's location is identical (A/C just add an extra pulley at the lower right corner, hence a slightly longer belt.)

A new belt (£10-15), you might be able to walk out of the garage with less than 100 Euro.

(Friend of mine changed an Auxiliary Belt at Kwit-Fit for £70 a few months ago.)

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for your help! I asked them to send me a new estimate for the car repair without the AC. This way, they can just remove the AC. I'll keep you updated, but this seems like a good option for me. The car is only used occasionally, and we plan to sell it in a few years. I felt like they were trying to make money off me by saying I had to change the AC, but you gave me a new perspective. I'll see what they say about this option. 🙂

• Like 1

Hey @Vandals01, I have a question. They finally replied and said they can't change it, but I want to be sure. From your message, it seems like I can remove the AC. Below is their message, translated from Spanish to English. What's your opinion on this?

Sorry, it cannot be disconnected, the compressor is stuck and in these conditions the vehicle cannot be driven as it will irremediably break the belt. There is no alternative to save this car other than changing the compressor.

48 minutes ago, Gabriel Guérin said:

Hey @Vandals01, I have a question. They finally replied and said they can't change it, but I want to be sure. From your message, it seems like I can remove the AC. Below is their message, translated from Spanish to English. What's your opinion on this?

Change the garage perhaps. 

This is the belt diagram for Toyota Aygo

image.thumb.png.ca3255129308b96d467298332156527f.png

Picture on the left is with Air Condition.  Picture on on the right is without Air Condition.

1. Alternator
  2. Water Pump
  3. Crank pulley
  4. Air Con compressor
  5. Tensioner

Show them this picture:  Ask them is there any reason why you can not have a shorter belt (6PK850) that skips the Compressor.

If they still insist, have the car tow away to another garage and give them a 1 star review on Google.  Consider get the newspaper involve too.

• Like 4

Thanks a lot @Vandals01 for sending all this information. It's much clearer now that they're trying to make me pay for something they can actually bypass. I did what you suggested and sent them a message with the picture asking for clarifications. I also gave them the reference for the shorter belt that skips the compressor.

I'll keep you updated on their response. They usually take a long time to reply, but at least WhatsApp shows they read my message. 

Thanks again to both you, @Vandals01, and @TonyHSD. Have a great weekend!

• Like 1

I do give them benefits of the doult.

They might not have work on Toyota Aygo without Air Con. (Because Air Con is everywhere in France, Spain or whatever).

But here in the UK, Air/Con is not a necessity.  This year for example, I've only used it for one week. So there are a lot of Aygo that were not equipped with Air/Con.

Anyway, see what they says.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links