Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First MOT

Auris Geezer

My Yaris Cross is three years old on the 19th Sept, but I've had it done early and had it serviced too, under the service plan, so it's cost me nothing.

My issue is it's got two advisories for both rear shocks slightly "misting".  Is this something that should be fixed under warranty??

Bearing in mind the car has completed only a little over 6 thousand miles and is less than 3 years old, do you think I should/could insist on them being replaced.

Your sage advice would be helpful.

Thanks, Trev.

• Like 3

Hi, 

yes if me I will push for warranty replacement based on premature wear. Although shock absorbers might not be covered under extended warranty with each service they should have lasted well over 6000 miles and 3 years. 
If me I will book further investigation right now as it may turn out it’s a mot tester error but if confirmed misting I will definitely  push for warranty replacement. 
Shock absorber usually should last long time and fail only if physically damaged, overloaded or had a manufacturer defects, poorly made etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Auris Geezer said:

My Yaris Cross is three years old on the 19th Sept

28 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Although shock absorbers might not be covered under extended warranty with each service

The car will just be within the new car warranty (up to and including 18th Sept), so I would raise the issue before next Wednesday ........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Auris had both rear shocks changed under warranty for this as part of the annual service

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely get then done under warranty.😄

• Like 3

I have exactly the same problem with an MOT advisory fault for oil misting on a 2yr 11month old. My Dealer today refused to cover under warranty because Of a Service Bulletin TSB-CP6007 stating that oil contamination on Shocks is normal and not a problem and was caused by a manufacturing issue not a faulty Shock Absorber. See if you get refused as well. 

• Sad 3

A funny thing this "misting on shock absorbers" re MOT.

This first appeared on the one for my Yaris about 8 years ago before I owned it, never had new shocks since it was new.

Since then it has appeared as advisories on and off right up to the MOT last year, this year no mention.

So I won't worry about it unless some actual symptom appears, such as knocks,clonks or bounce.

Saying that, I would not expect this on such a new car as yours, and agree with the others to push for replacement.

But if no joy, I would say no big worries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update, I now now have comfirmation, in writing, these will be covered by warranty.  They've asked me to take it in for a recheck in 6 months.  I'm happy with that.

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links