Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

big end bearings keep breaking

jamedd

hi ive got a 99 sxr i dont know whats happening but somthing keeps breaking my big end bearings i thought it might be somthing blocking the oil channels. not to sure tho so was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this before.

Never known a big end bearing break, they normally wear out through lack of lubrication but they knock long before that happens.

I have known an engine where a big end bearing cap broke but that was caused by incorrect assembly using a non-matching part.

44 minutes ago, skidlid said:

Never known a big end bearing break, they normally wear out through lack of lubrication but they knock long before that happens.

I have known an engine where a big end bearing cap broke but that was caused by incorrect assembly using a non-matching part.

Didn’t mean break didn’t know how to put it but it’s not doing what it’s meant to be don’t think it’s getting any oil and I feel like something might be blocked just don’t know where to look 

4 hours ago, jamedd said:

Didn’t mean break didn’t know how to put it...

You mean seized, like this?

bearing.thumb.JPG.56454fd925d7044aefff5e53bc5a10d0.JPG

15 hours ago, Xanadu_999 said:

You mean seized, like this?

bearing.thumb.JPG.56454fd925d7044aefff5e53bc5a10d0.JPG

yeah seized thats the word i was looking for it doesnt seem to be getting oil just not sure where to start looking 

So your bearings look like that picture?

That has not seized badly, it has worn out and has suffered from a few late oil changes in its life.

Post some pictures.

are you running them in, correctly, if you are just slapping in bearings STOP they are precision-fit items you need to get the crank and rods checked for size a roundness and the bearing sized correctly with the correct running  clearances as there are differences in bearing suppliers

with that sort of bearing damage in a short period shows oil contamination and/or the bearings being too tight - the engine needs a full strip-down inspection and clean

On 9/12/2024 at 5:52 PM, Mjolinor said:

So your bearings look like that picture?

That has not seized badly, it has worn out and has suffered from a few late oil changes in its life.

Post some pictures.

ill get some when i get home im at work for the next few weeks 

On 9/12/2024 at 6:19 PM, flash22 said:

are you running them in, correctly, if you are just slapping in bearings STOP they are precision-fit items you need to get the crank and rods checked for size a roundness and the bearing sized correctly with the correct running  clearances as there are differences in bearing suppliers

with that sort of bearing damage in a short period shows oil contamination and/or the bearings being too tight - the engine needs a full strip-down inspection and clean

alright thanks ill strip the engine down and tighten up the bearing to the right specs and ill take the crank and rods to a shop to get them looked at 

you need to have the correct clearances between the bearing and crank so you get the correct lubrication, too tight and you get metal-on-metal contact/oil starvation, too loose and you get low oil pressure and and rapid wear like a hotdog down a hallway

if you are going to a machine shop take the block in and get them to check the complete bottom-end

I assume it is the 2.2 5s-fe engine

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

you need to have the correct clearances between the bearing and crank so you get the correct lubrication, too tight and you get metal-on-metal contact/oil starvation, too loose and you get low oil pressure and and rapid wear like a hotdog down a hallway

if you are going to a machine shop take the block in and get them to check the complete bottom-end

I assume it is the 2.2 5s-fe engine

This is the best advice, replacing worn big end bearings without having the crank journals measured is akin to changing a clutch & using the old thrust bearing.

If you really dont want to take it to a workshop and have them accurately measure & advise you should at least try to determine journal wear/bearing clearances with some of this ..

https://plastigauge.co.uk/about/how-plastigauge-works/

I used to scrounge dental wax off my dentist to do the same job many years before that was invented. 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links