Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1000 mile oil change

Khaki lass

A petrolhead friend of mine has recommended that I change the oil in my new Yaris Cross at 1000 miles (it will be full of minute metal particles). Do I need to take this to Toyota or can the local garage do it & if so, what grade oil please ?

• Like 2

Not necessary, no oil change required until the first service. Your friend is being over cautious.

• Like 5

Hi Liz,many car enthusiasts do suggest an early oil change for a new vehicle to remove any potential metal particles from the engine's break-in process. However, modern engines like the one in your Toyota Yaris are designed with tighter manufacturing tolerances,Toyota generally doesn't require an early oil change at 1,000 miles.Toyota recommends following the maintenance schedule, which is typically around 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. 👍

• Like 5

I can remember cars back in the early 70's needing a service after 1500 miles but modern cars are much better designed and built.

• Like 5

I have been watching a You Tube channel (admittedly from USA  Car Care Nut) in which the Toyota mechanic/technician (?) advised 1000 mile oil change.

Just curious to hear others’ views.

Thanks everyone 

The last new car we had which required an oil change at (then) 600 miles was a 1987 Nissan Micra, due to Nissan using a very light oil as the factory fill.

20 other new cars since (Hyundais, Hondas, Mazdas, Nissans and Toyotas) and none of these have required an oil change outside of the first service.

Toyota US also has shorter service intervals than Europe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Khaki lass said:

Just curious to hear others’ views.

It's outdated advice. When I started motoring some cars needed all the suspension and steering joints greasing every 1,000 miles, as well as an engine oil change. I don't recommend you do that either 🙂

Everything has changed. The rubbing surfaces of engines (and gearboxes) now have much better tolerance and finishes, so there isn't any significant roughness to be worn off and thus few particles. Filters are better, so any bits that do appear will be trapped before they can do damage. 

The modern oils used to go with these engines are also very expensive, compared to the old stuff, so you really would be throwing money away.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, last new car we bought that needed 1000 mile oil change was a 1989 Ford Fiesta and our last new car our Peugeot 107 2008 with toyota 1.0 engine didn't need it. It surprised me at the time, as I was still in the very early oil change camp, but back in 2008 initial 1000 mile 'first' service was just basically a check of this and that. Saying that in the time we had our 1989 Ford Fiesta it started out with 6 monthly oil changes, but over time we owned it (20+ years) the manufacturer recommended oil change interval went to 12 months, so just shows how oil specs etc. progressed over time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, not necessary, modern engines and oils, negates early oil changes, stick to manufacture recommendations..

• Like 3

More you play and do things on the car that aren’t necessary, there is a higher chance of something to go wrong. 
Keep within the manufacturer recommended intervals and avoid any extras is the best. Use quality fuel e5 97 or above preferably, oem oils or high quality aftermarket. Oem parts and accessories and you won’t have any troubles. And last but not least a sensible drive, these are the key factors.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2024 at 2:38 PM, Khaki lass said:

(it will be full of minute metal particles)

it is a job for the oil filter.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links