Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12 volt battery

Stevesten

Hi my car 2023 has run out of power twice in the last 2 weeks and I’ve had the Aa out to boost start then the same thing today but I’ve had the car recovered to Toyota I drive around 100 miles a day , I can’t understand why this is happening.. I do have a dash cam that’s attached but park mode is turned off .. is the Battery fit for purpose? 

• Sad 2

Probably bad Battery, get Toyota to replace under warranty considering high mileage that it's covered. So long as it's not drained by you using power while not in ready mode. 

• Like 3

You can always troubleshoot yourself by disconnecting the Dashcam every time you park or at least when you leave the car overnight. If that helps then you have your suspect but imo that's the sign of damaged Battery with very low real capacity

• Like 3

It defeats me how a reputable car company can provide a vehicle which just randomly stops. There is no warning light that the problem is the 12V. You can't even open the damn door. They need to seriously rethink the design before it seriously damages their reputation. I was recommended to buy a trickle charger. I object to doing this for such an expensive car. Hyundai apparently has a switch so you can charge 12V. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think many Yarises just randomly stop. That's rare and means that something is broken. 12V switch won't help if your car stops mid-ride. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actually all these cameras and connected services, apps, remote controls, and all that unnecessary clutter cause problems in the cars 

• Like 3

For balance, mine's about 3 and a half years old, still on the original factory Battery, never failed to start. (I do have a portable jumpstarter just in case though! :laugh: )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

For balance, mine's about 3 and a half years old, still on the original factory battery, never failed to start. (I do have a portable jumpstarter just in case though! :laugh: )

Do you have cameras? 

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with our Yaris either. Even with the camera fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Do you have cameras? 

Yes, but they are connected to the ignition power only (Even in my diesel Yaris with its massive Battery, I wasn't confident the camera being always-on wouldn't deplete it quite quickly! As mentioned in another thread, I'd only use a Dashcam in Parking mode if I had a supplementary lithium pack running it, not the car Battery directly! Even Teslas in Sentry mode have to run the car with the whole high-voltage system on, and it still drains its massive traction Battery by a couple % overnight!! :eek: )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yes, but they are connected to the ignition power only (Even in my diesel Yaris with its massive battery, I wasn't confident the camera being always-on wouldn't deplete it quite quickly! As mentioned in another thread, I'd only use a dashcam in Parking mode if I had a supplementary lithium pack running it, not the car battery directly! Even Teslas in Sentry mode have to run the car with the whole high-voltage system on, and it still drains its massive traction battery by a couple % overnight!! :eek: )

But there are so many cars that the cameras record constantly and kill the Battery. I know they or at least some of them has autonomous power from a built in Battery but these are small and when left the car for two three days these small batteries dies and take power from the 12v Battery.
Overall most of the camera users suffer battery issues. 
Do we really need to have cameras in cars and touch screens on our toothbrushes, imo not, but it’s probably just me and few in between that we think that way. 😅

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

we really need to have cameras in cars

You change your mind really quick when you find yourself in need for such recording 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep your keys in a Faraday box if you normally keep them close to the car (within 3m). The 12V Battery suffers a 0.2V drop when the car detects the keys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hind said:

You change your mind really quick when you find yourself in need for such recording

Someone has dented and scraped the plastic lower front bumper of my Yaris Cross so I have ordered a new one at a very reasonable £121.

It then occurred to me that my Nextbase dash cam would have caught the incident but I really cant be bothered to trawl through the files to find it.

If I did find it what use would identifying the offending vehicle be?

29 minutes ago, Chas G said:

what use would identifying the offending vehicle be?

Asking for the compensation for the damaged bumper? Not sure how it works in UK, maybe it's different than "over here". 

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

Someone has dented and scraped the plastic lower front bumper of my Yaris Cross so I have ordered a new one at a very reasonable £121.

It then occurred to me that my nextbase dash cam would have caught the incident but I really cant be bothered to trawl through the files to find it.

If I did find it what use would identifying the offending vehicle be?

Wow, that is reasonable.  But what about paint cost and fitting?

Insurance company would be able to access records to contact driver if you find the reg number. Also, you can use an online app to check if the car actually has insurance. It will be a yes/no answer but no other details.

Try Vehicle Smart app (iphone). Store your car details as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

Wow, that is reasonable.  But what about paint cost and fitting?

Insurance company would be able to access records to contact driver if you find the reg number. Also, you can use an online app to check if the car actually has insurance. It will be a yes/no answer but no other details.

Try Vehicle Smart app (iphone). Store your car details as well.

@hind and @jthspace

Cost for Steven Eagell to fit it is £243. It doesn't need painting, it's a plain black plastic panel with a grille in it. 

Chasing the other driver would be more hassle than benefit.

27 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Chasing the other driver would be more hassle than benefit.

Sadly so often the case that if it's likely less than your excess, either leave it or bite the bullet and pay for it.

Couple of years ago waiting at a roundabout, a transit in the next lane cut across my lane, clipped and scraped the wheel arch but didn't stop.

Dutifully reported to my insurer and the police. Police said insured and claimed no knowledge. Never escalated the report to a claim and when the car was washed and polished you couldn't see it unless you knew about it and went right up close.

Result? No fault, no claim, no loss recorded on the insurance bureau, have to declare it for another 2 and a half years yet (on renewal I forgot to declare and they queried it immediately) plus my premium increased.

It's wrong but it's a reality.

• Sad 2

No, no cameras for me. I drive as much as taxis does  or even more and I do not need a cameras. The reason is simple. Do whatever you do but make sure you don’t need to record anything and if an accident happens, then happened, that’s why we have insurance. And those who feel the need of recording everything they knowingly or unknowingly push themselves into a trouble to justifying their recording equipment and associated cost. 
Drive new and modern does not need to very different from driving old school. Be smart and stay safe . No need to record anything. 👍

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

if an accident happens, then happened, that’s why we have insurance

I envy UK justice system which can really tell the truth in every case 🙂 Fun fact: Austria even banned the dashcams as a privacy violation tool, you cannot have one mounted in your car when driving there. 

In my wild country I prefer to have one installed because sometimes you can encounter hit and run cases or insurance frauds.

I don't use parking mode though and probably should as I got my door damaged by the nearby car so I can really understand people who do. 

BTW dashcams might be also useful for others - we got one case where the BMW driver hit another car while going more than 250 km/h, killing 3 people and running away. Police ignored the whole situation and only investigated after some Dashcam footages surfaced from other drivers, showing the offencing car driving more than 300 km/h just seconds before the impact. 

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, hind said:

🙂Austria even banned the dashcams as a privacy violation tool, you cannot have one mounted in your car when driving there...

This information will not be true. I have information from drivers who go to Austria. Only parking mode is prohibited.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dala said:

I have information from drivers who go to Austria

I'd rather rely on Austrian automobile organisation 

https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/vorschriften-strafen/zulaessigkeit-von-dashcams-im-oesterreichischen-strassenverkehr-16180594

rather than the opinion from people who just "go there". Just the sole fact that people do that and don't get punished doesn't mean it's legal. 

But I agree that the rules are not very straightforward. I detach mine when driving through Austria.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hind said:

I'd rather rely on Austrian automobile organisation 

https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/vorschriften-strafen/zulaessigkeit-von-dashcams-im-oesterreichischen-strassenverkehr-16180594

rather than the opinion from people who just "go there". Just the sole fact that people do that and don't get punished doesn't mean it's legal. 

But I agree that the rules are not very straightforward. I detach mine when driving through Austria.

I'm glad they feel the same way about it in this link

Do you have Dashcam which encrypts the footage? Is it low res? Does it record only the time close to the incident? I have these features in enterprise level recorder but my Xiaomi Yi Dash doesn't meet any of the above and most of the consumer products fail them too

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links