Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis tourer

Laydon

Hello I’m looking to purchase a petrol, manual estate that I’ve seen advertised. It’s a 2009 T4  any advice would be appreciated. 
thanks 

Topic moved to the Avensis forum.

check by the door check straps/hinges for cracking.

How many miles/service history/general condition/price? 

Tbh you might want to look for a facelift (2012MY), nothing really wrong with the 2009 but they did make improvements to the EPB & it's default behaviour as well as some other changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Scott - Heidfirst. Get a later model with some of the updates. I have the earliest 2009 Avensis Tourer 1.8 Valvematic, and it has the cracks around the check straps on the front doors. I put very large washers to spread the load and stop the cracks spreading! Also the EPB has to be manually applied when switching off, on the first gen' Mk3 models. This went fully auto parking brake when the first face lift was introduced. 
The petrol Valvematic engines are fairly reliable, so long as the correct genuine Denso Iridium sparkplugs are used. Regular oil and filter service with good quality oil of the correct grade - I always use fully synthetic 0w-20. My car hardly needs topping up between oil changes.
Clutch should be good and not slipping. Brakes also seem good and are straight forward to replace disc and pads. There can be knocks in the suspension and steering. 

Check to see if the car has a spare wheel! My car came with the space-saver spare wheel, but I hated it after using is once on the rear. I then obtained a second-hand alloy wheel, and it is much better. With the space saver being half the width of the full size and slightly smaller, if replacing a front puncture, you have to put the space saver on the rear, then replace the front wheel with the rear! Some models didn't even get a space saver, so if the tyre damage is beyond the sealing kit, you will need help, so a space saver is the best minimum option.

Most important! Make sure the SD memory card comes with the car. This has both maps though out of date, and acts like a security key for the radio. Without it, if the car Battery or the audio unit is disconnected, it will ask for the memory card when booting up and the unit will not work! Some owners remove the memory card, but others are stolen.

Do the normal general check as you would any car. 

• Like 1

Excellent advice from Konrad.

Just a note on the head unit SD card; this is probably only for early models. My 2015 first facelift model does not have or require an SD card. I believe the head unit is coded to the car and does not lose this when the Battery is disconnected. Updates (software and maps) are implemented using a USB flash drive.

Konrad, with regard to replacing the space saver with a standard wheel, was this an easy drop-in replacement? I have space saver and it has a polystyrene tray above it containing the jack and tools. Is it simply a case of removing the polystyrene tray and then a full size wheel will fit? I have never been happy just having to rely on a space-saver.

13 minutes ago, Cessna said:

Just a note on the head unit SD card; this is probably only for early models.

neither my 2012MY (1st facelift) or 2017 (2nd facelift was 2015MY) had/have an SD card

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links