Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving With You Head Lights Up!

sera_beetle

Silly question does it make a differnce driving and top speed of your mr2 with the headlights up?

i just wondered if all the stats (i.e. 0-60 times) would have been mesured with the lights down?

Ta

Tim :thumbsup:

to 60 i dont think it would make much of a difference but when it comes to going above 100+ ...

i reckon it would make a fair bit of difference with all that drag factor as that is when aerodynamics come into play a lot more..

I was told that the top end was 5 mph lower on a mk1 with the lights up .. :lol:

The tubby will still redline with the lights up and the windows down and roof off :D

The tubby will still redline with the lights up and the windows down and roof off :D

Yes it does! :D

Not sure about the MR2.. But I remember testing in a mk3 3.0i supra.... having that lights up cost me 5-10 mph!!!!!!!!

I notice having the roof off the black one seriously slows the car down on the motorway... but its all about cruising... not racing :thumbsup:

There's a mention in that Toyota MR2 book. The comments are directed towards the Mk1 and discuss how the design of the lights took wind resistance into account and gave some technical figures on how little difference they made when up.

No actual speed reference was given, but there were a load of numbers and technical figures relating to turbulence and wind resistance. :huh: .

The figures themselves didn’t mean a lot to me but the book basically explains that there's very little difference in the air flow over the car - far less than other pop up light designs and far less than you would expect.

That was the Mk1 at least. I'd post the data if I hadn't given the book to my dad along with my old Mk1. If anyone else has the book, the figures are there.

I'm pretty sure it's called "Toyota MR2" by Brian Long. Although my copy had a red mk1 on the front - not a yellow mk3.... so I guess it must have been an earlier edition.

Given that my copy only had prototype details of the mk3 for it's release "any time soon" I guess that must be so, as the book above appears to go into some detial on the mk3.

Found it - same author, different front and presumably some difference in content. The book I had is the second one down on this page. (I think :blink:... but it also discusses the Mk2 in some detail, which the cover of that book doesn't really suggest).

Interesting post, never crossed my mind that the pop-up lights would affect top speed. Mind you, I have a limiter on mine anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's called "Toyota MR2" by Brian Long. Although my copy had a red mk1 on the front - not a yellow mk3.... so I guess it must have been an earlier edition.

Given that my copy only had prototype details of the mk3 for it's release "any time soon" I guess that must be so, as the book above appears to go into some detial on the mk3.

that's the one I have (good mates buy you such things) .. and it goes up as far as the first gen Mk3 and the few limited editions (zigato thingie etc) ..

i've got that book, the yellow mk3 on the front; very good read :)

back to the question though; lights up will deffently cause drag.

So @ The Pod i'd have them closed and my mirrors tooked in, also removing the spoiler shaves milli secs of acceleration time, aswell.

But i wouldn't want to be racing my car on the circuit without a spoiler on the back. That would be a brown trouser experience. :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links