Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Moon roof DOES open all the way according to this...

Nick72

Someone mentioned the press twice thing a while ago. Never worked on the last car and doesn't on this. Why does it work on US versions? Surely it's the same moon roof? But I could be doing something wrong with podge fingers. 

See 17 minutes in... First long press and it opens to an aerodynamic optimum, second press and it opens all the way as it should.

Anyone else tried this out?

3 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Surely it's the same moon roof?

It's different to mine. The screen in the video is manual! Mine is powered ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

It's different to mine. The screen in the video is manual! Mine is powered ...

I think on the lower trims in the US on the RAV with moon roof the screen is manual. But surely the moon roof is the same through the range and across countries?

11 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I think on the lower trims in the US on the RAV with moon roof the screen is manual. But surely the moon roof is the same through the range and across countries?

The switch gear is clearly different. It seems reasonable to assume that the moonroof will be a common design, but I'd expect moonroofs for cars built in Japan to come from Japan (or China) while moonroofs for cars built in Canada would come from Canada (or China). I don't think that we can assume a common supplier but ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The switch gear is clearly different. It seems reasonable to assume that the moonroof will be a common design, but I'd expect moonroofs for cars built in Japan to come from Japan (or China) while moonroofs for cars built in Canada would come from Canada (or China). I don't think that we can assume a common supplier but ...

Switch controls do seem different. But yes, the moon roof system should surely be the same. Still an assumption of course. 

So there's a sun roof and a moon roof available on US RAVs. It's clear the sun roof opens all the way but the moon roof does not. I think the sun roof is a smaller glass area. 

3 hours ago, Nick72 said:

So there's a sun roof and a moon roof available on US RAVs. It's clear the sun roof opens all the way but the moon roof does not. I think the sun roof is a smaller glass area. 

Final answer...

Got to the bottom of it.

In the US there are two types of moon roof. The pan moon roof is only available on the Prime (PHEV). This has 8 inch limited opening all over the globe. No second press will open it further.

The standard moon roof on the US RAV hybrids and other variants does, ironically, open further with the second button press option.

This is Toyota for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Final answer...

That's Nick for you ... rushes off to the States to import confusion ... 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

That's Nick for you ... rushes off to the States to import confusion ... 😄 

TBF it wasn't straightforward. And the usual bizarreness from Toyota. The lesser standard moon roof opens further than the premium pan moon roof. Go figure.

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Final answer...

Got to the bottom of it.

In the US there are two types of moon roof. The pan moon roof is only available on the Prime (PHEV). This has 8 inch limited opening all over the globe. No second press will open it further.

The standard moon roof on the US RAV hybrids and other variants does, ironically, open further with the second button press option.

This is Toyota for you. 

Thank you Nick, that solves the puzzle. Pity that Toyota decided it this way. Perhaps less turbulent if the pan roof just sits with a little angle than it lays flat.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Torrox said:

Thank you Nick, that solves the puzzle. Pity that Toyota decided it this way. Perhaps less turbulent if the pan roof just sits with a little angle than it lays flat.

No worries. Apologies for the back n forth. Took a while to work it out.

At least we are not missing out. No FOMO.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links