Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blower motor noise

Haych007

hi guys I wonder if you could Help me out of the blue my blower motor started making noise like there is leaf or something stuck in there how do I go about this to check can leafs or debris get stuck in there I only use it sometimes it's like a clicking noise from  the passenger footwell has anyone experienced this can anyone help so I can check this please  any help would be appreciated thanks,

Under normal circumstances, it is impossible for leaves to reach the blower.  The reason being the presence of Cabin Filter.

The flow of air goes like this:

1. Air enters the cabin through the firewall behind the passenger's airbag.
  2. It goes through the Cabin Filter which is located above passenger's footwell.
  3. Air is then drawn to the motor which is located between the steering wheel and head unit.

So in your case, I will start off by removing the Cabin filter for inspection.

If the filter was damaged (say a rat chew a big hole), then yes, leaves could reach the blower.

On the other hand, if the filter is intact, you may have a blower that's on its way to scrap.

The motor itself isn't that expensive (£65 + Postage from AutoDoc).  However getting to it isn't fun at all.

By the time you got in there, you might want to throw in a new blower motor anyway.  As I can assure you, you'll never want to take it apart again.

• Like 1

Alternatively, you can get one of those Endoscope.

Remove the Cabin Filter.  Insert the Camera end of the Endoscope through the Cabin filter hole.  Blower motor is straight to the right from that point.

However, last time I did this to inspect the Air Con evaporator for build ups, I did see the blower, but I couldn't find the evaporator.  The picture quality was so low that I felt like I was fishing in the dark...

To be fair, the USB Endoscope was purchased from Aliexpress at £3, so I get what you paid for.

• Like 1

Hi thank for the reply but u only use it hear an there it was fine when I come from going to work when I parked up I could hear like something in the blower motor passenger side but my toyota aygo doesn't have a cabin filter I can't see one for some reason where is it actually located ?

Pretty sure all Aygo has it.

Pull the passenger seat all the way back.

Rest your back on the passenger door sill with your right ear next to the bonnet release lever.  Look straight up.

image.thumb.jpeg.69d94c69fabfe0adb23d790673efcda2.jpeg

The plastic on the cabin filter can be BLACK which makes it hard to see.

• Like 1

I'll have to have look when it's not raining I'm pretty sure to it has it but I can't seem to find it let's hope it is leaves or something 🤷‍♂️

Blower motor can sound rough like there are debris trapped. 
It can act be the bearing. 

But I hardly use just today I put it on when I was going from home it was fine when I got to work I could hear it I was thinking where the noise comming from then I put it to 1 the blower and felt like something is stuck in it like a paper or leafs or something. But it's blowing warm and cold air  as usual perfectly. So what can be the case ?

1 hour ago, Haych007 said:

But I hardly use just today I put it on when I was going from home it was fine when I got to work I could hear it I was thinking where the noise comming from then I put it to 1 the blower and felt like something is stuck in it like a paper or leafs or something. But it's blowing warm and cold air  as usual perfectly. So what can be the case ?

You need to open and remove filter, inspect the area, turn blower by hand and see how it feels. It is possible to have debris inside, rat invasion and shewed plastic, so many things. 
Physical inspection, new filter and a good idea is to keep the fan always ON even in the lowest speed settings. 

• Like 1

Follow this video.  Although your is MK1 (this video is MK2), but the location is identical.

If you are still struggling to find the filter, take the car to a garage.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links