Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smoking RAV 4 2011

Knobnutz

my rav-4, has been at a local Toyota dealership for the past 7 months, they put in new fuel injectors, but still the car is putting out white smoke from the exhaust, they can't seem to work out what the problem is, if I can't stop the smoking, only option would be to scrap the car, any advise would be appreciated 

Start by adding full details of your car to your profile. In this case specifically fuel type, engine capacity and gearbox. We will then at least know what we are 'looking at' rather than simply guessing.

Also, when does it smoke? What is the colour of the smoke? What does the smoke smell of?

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

Start by adding full details of your car to your profile. In this case specifically fuel type, engine capacity and gearbox. We will then at least know what we are 'looking at' rather than simply guessing.

Also, when does it smoke? What is the colour of the smoke? What does the smoke smell of?

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

Many thanks ! Will add details as informed, when you first drive it, it's fine then after about 2-3 miles, it starts to smoke, colour is a whiteish colour will try and load a video of it. Thanks 

Loaded details of the RAV - colour of smoke is white. As I say, Toyota advised to change for new fuel injectors - but this issue of it smoking has not been corrected, and after 7 months, they have given up 😞 Any ideas, would be most welcome 

diesel  & white smoke, I would start with the DPF system

Many thanks, thought that too, but it has been replaced.

1 hour ago, Knobnutz said:

Many thanks, thought that too, but it has been replaced.

So, you might want to give us as full a list of what has been diagnosed and changed already ... 😉

The 2AD engine is a wonderful thing when it's working and something of a horror when it's not. There are numerous threads on here relating to "white smoke", lots of speculation about possible causes and relatively few clear resolutions.

"White smoke" is typically water vapour and indicative of a blown head gasket. That is certainly possible of a 2AD engine but you /your dealer would have noticed the loss of coolant so we can probably discount that possibility. Water vapour doesn't smell of much ...

Alternatively, "white smoke" can be caused by unburned diesel fuel - and that should certainly 'smell'. That's probably the situation here.

Your car - 2.2 D4D DPF 148bhp Manual transmission - will have a 2AD-FTV engine. It has a DPF and fifth injector but not the DNPR system.

The symptoms that you describe - "when you first drive it, it's fine then after about 2-3 miles, it starts to smoke" - would be consistent with the car attempting to regenerate a partially blocked DPF by injecting additional fuel via the fifth injector to raise the temperature in the exhaust system to burn off deposits. I.e. the car waits until the engine is up to temperature and then initiates the regeneration process.

I say "consistent with" since I have little idea whether this is what is actually happening! 😉

And when Scot @Heidfirst says start "with the DPF system" the emphasis must be on the system rather than the DPF itself. Candidates include the DPF, the fifth injector, all the sensors and all the wiring ...

Philip - that's a great help ! I will go with the DPF thanks very much 

Just wanted to say we have been experiencing the same issue after a DPF replacement. It is something related to the DPF regen cycle as it stops doing it if you annulate the fifth injector. I would suggest trying that to at least see if the issue comes from the same place (don't leave it line that fit long or you'll end up clogging the DPF though). As of today, we haven't been able to solve the issue either, unfortunately.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links