Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying an Aygo

Francism

Hi folks. New member here. Thinking of buying an Aygo as need small runabout. My trusted spanner man has an older model and swears by it. He loves its simplicity and ease of services etc. I’m planning to buy a much newer model ie 2020 upwards. My question, have they changed a lot over time in terms of ease of technical stuff?  Anything to look out for failure wise?  Thank you. 

The Aygo was replaced by the Aygo X in 2022 - completely new design.

2021 Aygo:

image.png.3db92e3d393ced9482b24119c424dff7.png

2022 onwards Aygo X:

image.thumb.png.b0a90e009852d0c68d5cf845d55e2642.png

• Like 1

I dove a 2012 (older model MK1) then a 2015 (newer model MK2). 

I work on my own cars down to changing the clutch (not like I needed to change the clutch on Aygo yet).

From what I can see:

• The engine layout is roughly the same - Same oil filter location. Same pulley layout.  Only difference is the location of dipstick tube.
  • The gearbox is vastly similar - clutch is adjusted the same way, uses the same fluid with same capacity.  The only differences is the gear ratio (MK1 feels like the engine were struggling at 16 mph on 3rd gear, whereas MK2 is very comfortable with that.)
  • Brake disc & pads were the same dimension.

Major differences:

• Less storage compartment around the driver area.  Before there was a tray beneath the centre console, a small compartment to the steering wheel's left (where I uses to store phone cables) then a bin to the steering wheel's right.  Now all gone.
  • Ability to control passenger's window.  For MK1, you had to reach over to the passenger side to operate the passenger's window.
  • Much better sound system, but I still changed everything.
  • Ability to control your music without taking your hands off the steering wheel
  • No more rattle from the tailgate.
  • More information on the dash (Added Trip B counter, current MPG, Average MPG and Average speed).
  • Speed limiter which I found it really useful on M3 where a long stretch of dual carriageway had a 50mph speed limit.  Set it to 50, no need to worry about cameras anymore.
  • AirBags were added to sides of the roof liner - makes Dashcam installation slightly more difficult (I had to feed the wires behind the bags.)

In conclusion, in terms of mechanical aspect, they are 90% identical.  Similar layout, same working spaces.  Driving experience however, you can feel it is a different car.  The only thing I missed on my MK1 are the front seats which has better back support and fabrics not synthetic leather (all synthetic leather cracks overtime and when they do, car seat cover is your friend).

** Add another thing: No spare tyres in MK2.  I would much more prefer a spare tyre rather than a tube of glue. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links