Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Small chip on windshield

Qasim

I am devastated when I found out a small chip on screen within 9 days of getting a new car.How unlucky! I have only driven it locally and totally unsure whether its new or old?

Its on PCP , what should I do ?

i will try to post photo in morning.

IMG_5113.jpeg

• Sad 4

I had a rock smack into my windscreen a few weeks ago and for the first time actually chipped it! Gutted as this is already the 2nd windscreen I've had and it's resisted most rock chips so far - That one hit really hard so must have been flicked off something from the opposite motorway :sad: 

Fortunately it's covered by insurance so just booked it in, guy came, injected resin into it and off he went, didn't have to pay any excess thankfully.

Went very smoothly booking everything on-line via AutoWindscreens; Continue to be pleased with Adrian Flux/Marker Study; Just hope they don't keep jacking up the premiums as it's getting less and less competitive!

Since it's so new, you could get the dealer to fix it, otherwise just use your insurance.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I had a rock smack into my windscreen a few weeks ago and for the first time actually chipped it! Gutted as this is already the 2nd windscreen I've had and it's resisted most rock chips so far - That one hit really hard so must have been flicked off something from the opposite motorway :sad: 

Fortunately it's covered by insurance so just booked it in, guy came, injected resin into it and off he went, didn't have to pay any excess thankfully.

Went very smoothly booking everything on-line via AutoWindscreens; Continue to be pleased with Adrian Flux/Marker Study; Just hope they don't keep jacking up the premiums as it's getting less and less competitive!

Since it's so new, you could get the dealer to fix it, otherwise just use your insurance.

Its so disheartening to hear your story as well.I have insurance which covers repair and replacement.

will dealership charge?

Should I go with repair or replacement?

How is the quality of repair?Does these chips disappear altogether?

You'd have to ask the dealership - They might repair it for free given you've only had it a few days. If they charge you may as well go through insurance as they shouldn't charge to fix a small chip.

The chip will remain visible, but smaller. The fill is mainly to stop it getting any worse, as if it does you may need a new windscreen, which is a real faff and you have to pay whatever your windscreen excess is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Qasim said:

Should I go with repair or replacement?

It will depend on what is legal. If a repair will be legal then that's what your insurers, or possibly dealer, will do. If not then it's a new screen and you'll be looking at an insurance job.

If a repair is legal but you don't like the result then a new screen will be at your own expense. And Murphy's Law dictates that within a short time you'll get another chip anyway, so don't even think about going there.

6 hours ago, MikeSh said:

It will depend on what is legal. If a repair will be legal then that's what your insurers, or possibly dealer, will do. If not then it's a new screen and you'll be looking at an insurance job.

If a repair is legal but you don't like the result then a new screen will be at your own expense. And Murphy's Law dictates that within a short time you'll get another chip anyway, so don't even think about going there.

Thanks much.What do you think at the end of pcp will it be considered normal wear /tear?

Yes I would think so. Your finance agreement should come with info about how many chips and what size are considered acceptable.

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Were you satisfied with the repair?Do they almost become invisible?

I had auto windscreens repair a chip last year, they made it worse it went from a small chip to a £2 coin sized crack as it was in the top left corner of the screen I decided to leave it to see if it got worse which it didn’t. When I changed my car they never noticed it. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ralph H said:

I had auto windscreens repair a chip last year, they made it worse it went from a small chip to a £2 coin sized crack as it was in the top left corner of the screen I decided to leave it to see if it got worse which it didn’t. When I changed my car they never noticed it. 

Oh.So the procedure can actually make it worse.

mine is so small I think about 2mm ,I am thinking to leave it.Because roads are full of grit.And if they make it big it will be a nuisance.

Do

you think I should tell Toyota or Insurance?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Qasim said:

Oh.So the procedure can actually make it worse.

Yeah they warn you that it can go wrong before they attempt to repair it. If it does go wrong and you don’t want the screen replaced they ask you to sign to say you accept the sub standard repair. This was all done through my insurance so I assume they knew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qasim said:

mine is so small I think about 2mm ,I am thinking to leave it.Because roads are full of grit.And if they make it big it will be a nuisance.

It's a tricky thing to judge. A chip can develop into a crack that propagates over time and can then be illegal quite quickly. Yours appears to be in front of the driver so there is a 10mm limit. 

A repair may not make it invisible, or even any better, but it should stop water getting in and then freezing, which can start or enlarge any crack - just as happens with potholes on the road. So it's worth thinking about getting it fixed before winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats a very good advice.I have got insurance cover and will be making a claim today to get this repaired.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Qasim said:

Thats a very good advice.I have got insurance cover and will be making a claim today to get this repaired.

That’s the best action and don’t worry too much about it. 
The rule when you have something new and shiny and soon after get some sort of damage is there. We called a good luck 🤞 terms and this to bring many trouble free miles. 
My car had a dent in the wing which I noticed 5 days after bought the car, one of our last cars got scraped by a van on day 3 after delivered brand new, I fixed myself though with some touch up paint and list goes on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

It's a tricky thing to judge. A chip can develop into a crack that propagates over time and can then be illegal quite quickly. Yours appears to be in front of the driver so there is a 10mm limit. 

A repair may not make it invisible, or even any better, but it should stop water getting in and then freezing, which can start or enlarge any crack - just as happens with potholes on the road. So it's worth thinking about getting it fixed before winter.

21 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s the best action and don’t worry too much about it. 
The rule when you have something new and shiny and soon after get some sort of damage is there. We called a good luck 🤞 terms and this to bring many trouble free miles. 
My car had a dent in the wing which I noticed 5 days after bought the car, one of our last cars got scraped by a van on day 3 after delivered brand new, I fixed myself though with some touch up paint and list goes on. 

Thank you for your kind words.I hope it.Since this was my first brand new car and i took it too seriously.I have called my insurance and they have booked one on next Wednesday.

I will post the update here.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Qasim said:

Were you satisfied with the repair?Do they almost become invisible?

It's still very obvious that it's there but it is much smaller now; It was probably a borderline MOT-fail because it's right in front of me, but now only maybe a mm is visible.

One annoying thing is it looks like some dirt got in as I can see a black speck in it, but otherwise it looks like he got a good solid vacuum as the resin has penetrated every part of the chip except the micro fractures (Which I can only see when the sun is at very low angles). The surface has been very well sealed and so when I run a finger over it I can't feel any trace of the chip - It just feels smooth.

I feel it's important to get it sealed at the least, as we're heading into winter and water getting in and freezing will quickly make it worse!

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's still very obvious that it's there but it is much smaller now; It was probably a borderline MOT-fail because it's right in front of me, but now only maybe a mm is visible.

One annoying thing is it looks like some dirt got in as I can see a black speck in it, but otherwise it looks like he got a good solid vacuum as the resin has penetrated every part of the chip except the micro fractures (Which I can only see when the sun is at very low angles). The surface has been very well sealed and so when I run a finger over it I can't feel any trace of the chip - It just feels smooth.

I feel it's important to get it sealed at the least, as we're heading into winter and water getting in and freezing will quickly make it worse!

Yep .I have got an appointment for next Wednesday.

If it risks failing MOT will it need the threshold of replacement through insurance ?

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

Hi.

Appreciate the positive comments.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Qasim said:

Yep .I have got an appointment for next Wednesday.

If it risks failing MOT will it need the threshold of replacement through insurance ?

If they can't fix it to a standard that would pass an MOT, they will replace the whole windscreen, but you'll have to pay the windscreen excess.

It's a faff though, as there are several 1-use trim pieces that would need to be replaced, and the ADAS systems would have to be recalibrated - If they can just fill in the chip it's much less hassle, maybe 30 minutes to an hour depending on how long it takes for the resin to cure.

I'm not sure if there is still a shortage of windscreens for the Yaris too, which would increase the lead time...!

I had a minor chip recently and it was so small (1/16 inch) that I didn't want the b***ache of insurance etc so took a chance on a DIY kit. Results were surprisingly good. This wasn't going to affect the MOT but was in the field of view and has now virtually disappeared 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links