Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cracking Tyres

ToyotaFanDriver

I made an interesting observation today when filling up air in the tyres.  I noticed some cracking in the tread on the outer edge horizontally. Very odd since I've only done 3400 miles so far and drive very sensibly. I then decided to look at the DOT code on the tyres and see they are from week 16 of 2020!

What are thoughts about trying to raise this with the dealer, I suspect they'll fob off and say its down to the tyre manufacturer and not Toyota (even though they fitted 3.5 year old + tyres at point of delivery)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

I made an interesting observation today when filling up air in the tyres.  I noticed some cracking in the tread on the outer edge horizontally. Very odd since I've only done 3400 miles so far and drive very sensibly. I then decided to look at the DOT code on the tyres and see they are from week 16 of 2020!

What are thoughts about trying to raise this with the dealer, I suspect they'll fob off and say its down to the tyre manufacturer and not Toyota (even though they fitted 3.5 year old + tyres at point of delivery)

That's poor. Mention the word safety and ask for a guarantee that it's safe. Usually has a desirable effect in my experience.

• Like 2

I’d certainly give it a go. Part of the problem with older tyres that have not done many miles is how they have been stored. My son’s car is really a ‘shopping trolley’ used very infrequently and spends a lot of time standing. He has to change the tyres based on age rather than mileage.

I’ve seen somewhere that unused tyres have a life of 5 years, could have got this wrong but feels about right. As always it depends on how they have been stored.

• Like 3

Raise the issue definitely, not for a new car. Will never know if the dealer changed into this before delivery or at assembly.

Had Goodyear egp1 stored in the shed for 4.5 years before use for 18 months, no problem. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

Not quite sure what you mean here - RAV4 tyres are fitted by Toyota at the factory in Japan. The dealer simply supplies what he is given so can reasonably shrug shoulders and say that there's nothing we can do about it.

But do double check that you've read the date code correctly and take it up with the dealer - they should at least be aware so that they have a chance to take it up with Toyota UK. You never know ... 😉

The 'problem' probably stems from post Covid supply chain issues, but that 'excuse' only takes them so far.

Edit: Oh, and, do you have a Certificate of Conformity? What was the actual date of manufacture of your car?

• Like 2

As above, tyres are fitted at the factory not by the dealer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

I'd raise it with Toyota CR and the dealer. It seems reasonable to expect tyres to be made less than 12 months before date of manufacture of the car. Particularly for a manufacturer that prides itself on just-in-time production principles. 

2 hours ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

Very odd since I've only done 3400 miles so far and drive very sensibly.

Not so much to do with your driving but more down to the compound used in the tyre. Some crack after just a few years while others last for decades.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the insights. My raising the issue I meant with Toyota via the dealer and not the dealership specifically. I wouldnt expect such old tyres to be fitted to the car. I will give it a go, appreciate the support all.

• Like 1

Rubber products on an aircraft such as belts, seals, bushes etc. often have 2 life limits. Usage based and elapsed time since manufacture. So even if it is on a shelf you have to throw it away after a period of time which can be anywhere between a few years to a decade. 

• Like 2

Of todays times car tyres once fitted to the car and particularly in uk can not last more than 3 years without developing a inner walls cracks and this is the time when they start to dry rot. 
The reasons are two: 

1. Rubber compound- latest technology is to use more organic materials like orange peel oils, and similar in the rubber compound 

2. Salt - winter time the whole uk road network is bombarded unnecessarily with salt and this melts and creates highly acidic environment that eats roads surfaces, kills vehicles tyres and suspension bushes, cause accepted corrosion . 

There are no tyres from one single tyre manufacturer that can survive these conditions. Even the so favourite Michelin cross climates, 3 years and that’s it, they are done.
If op tyres were made in 2020 and fitted to a car made in 2023 it will be not ideal but not sure dealers or Toyota themselves will be of any help. He should try his luck and get replacement if possible. 👍 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

There are no tyres from one single tyre manufacturer that can survive these conditions. Even the so favourite Michelin cross climates, 3 years and that’s it, they are done.

I've just replaced the sole surviving original tyre on the wife's car this year. The cracks were starting to attract MOT advisories. The tyre had been on for 9 years 😆

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red_Corolla said:

I've just replaced the sole surviving original tyre on the wife's car this year. The cracks were starting to attract MOT advisories. The tyre had been on for 9 years 😆

Same with my dad”s car , and millions more all around the world. However if you take the tyres off the car for rotating or anything else like brake services for example on any car older than 3 years or tyres fitted 3 years ago or longer I can guarantee that there is very high possibility to find cracks on the inner walls., and some along the treads. 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.a7eb864745c1e531d81b58b77c04b013.jpeg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

My wife is the same. Asked me to pump up her tyres the other day on her mini. 2 of them badly cracked walls. Other 2 ok but getting low on tread depth. The two cracked ones have been on the car for at least 6 or 7 years.

She's switching to CC2s all round next week.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Same with my dad”s car , and millions more all around the world. However if you take the tyres off the car for rotating or anything else like brake services for example on any car older than 3 years or tyres fitted 3 years ago or longer I can guarantee that there is very high possibility to find cracks on the inner walls., and some along the treads. 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.a7eb864745c1e531d81b58b77c04b013.jpeg

What is the dot number for manufacture date?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links