Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

GRS... Caution for steering lock users

Nick72

So I've used the same milenco hardened steel steering lock on the last RAV PHEV for 3 years and had no trouble other than struggling to unlock it a couple of times. Usually when up a mountain in forest. 

But, I took the lock off earlier on the GRS and noticed a dent in the steering wheel. See pic. The dent is not for going away. Livable so long as it doesn't mess with the heater element underneath.

The dent was caused by the metal bracket on the lock just resting on the wheel.

The steering wheel is different to the previous PHEV. It's much softer material. Squidgy. And clearly not up to a heavy steering lock resting on it. 

I'm either changing locks (I need one for visits to scally land and Mordor) or putting a sponge under it?

Any experience?

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

So I've used the same milenco hardened steel steering lock on the last RAV PHEV for 3 years and had no trouble other than struggling to unlock it a couple of times. Usually when up a mountain in forest. 

But, I took the lock off earlier on the GRS and noticed a dent in the steering wheel. See pic. The dent is not for going away. Livable so long as it doesn't mess with the heater element underneath.

The dent was caused by the metal bracket on the lock just resting on the wheel.

The steering wheel is different to the previous PHEV. It's much softer material. Squidgy. And clearly not up to a heavy steering lock resting on it. 

I'm either changing locks (I need one for visits to scally land and Mordor) or putting a sponge under it?

Any experience?

I bought a milenco when I go the car (with the steering wheel protectors) had the same issue and wasn't happy with the fit - I tries wrapping with foam and still not happy so sent it back... tried a stoplock pro elite and not really happy with it either - still looking for a better solution... the wheel us fairy small (so the locks can slip onto the paddles), soft and the spokes don't lend themselves to a proper fitting either.... if you find the answer please let me know...

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dkp001 said:

I bought a milenco when I go the car (with the steering wheel protectors) had the same issue and wasn't happy with the fit - I tries wrapping with foam and still not happy so sent it back... tried a stoplock pro elite and not really happy with it either - still looking for a better solution... the wheel us fairy small (so the locks can slip onto the paddles), soft and the spokes don't lend themselves to a proper fitting either.... if you find the answer please let me know...

Will do. I suspect it's a much softer material because it's something to do with the heated steering wheel. 

Looking now for an alternative.

• Like 1

I use a thick microfibre cleaning cloth over the steering wheel, bright yellow,  and fix the Milenco over that. I used to have very small indents not any more.

• Like 1

I've noticed heated steering wheels have a slightly softer / squishy feel compared to the non heated types. 

The heating elements are normally very well protected - they are on the C-HR heated steering wheel.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Will do. I suspect it's a much softer material because it's something to do with the heated steering wheel. 

Looking now for an alternative.

I have used the Milenco for over 2 years but purchased it with the optional protective steering wheel pads. No problems with steering wheel dents.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a6c7f1536dc18a8e612c0838f1b0ea8.jpeg

• Like 1

I know these cars been a thefts targets but I think owners are really overacting and using steering locks etc.  Similar to cat locks in other models , if you have the bad luck thieves to stop buy they will try their luck to steal your car or cause some damage. There is absolutely no point of using any additional locks on any car anywhere. More we think about possible thefts more we stress about it ourselves. Adding extra protection does not help us in any way. Remove anything, live without worry and if s..t happens, we have insurance. Because the actual theft it’s not only the problem.
The problem is the psychological stress and uncertainty that is associated with and the burden of carrying extra security devices. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I know these cars been a thefts targets but I think owners are really overacting and using steering locks etc.  Similar to cat locks in other models , if you have the bad luck thieves to stop buy they will try their luck to steal your car or cause some damage. There is absolutely no point of using any additional locks on any car anywhere. More we think about possible thefts more we stress about it ourselves. Adding extra protection does not help us in any way. Remove anything, live without worry and if s..t happens, we have insurance. Because the actual theft it’s not only the problem.
The problem is the psychological stress and uncertainty that is associated with and the burden of carrying extra security devices. 

Never used one myself but I know police forces do still reccomend them as the preferred security device. No reason not to use one if it makes the owner more comfortable. I've never had a car even broken into, but I know for a fact that my door has been tried on a number of occasions.

I can remember the bad old days before transponder keys when cars were genuinely easy to steal and it really was a good idea to have such a device. My neighbour had a mini metro with the retaining nut removed from the steering wheel - he would simply lift off the wheel and take it with him after parking up! 😂

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Unfortunately I do think it is dependent on where you live and where you travel to. If car crime is really rife in your area then your insurance may go through the roof until you implement these types of changes. I will be looking into a Faraday pouch / box soon to keep my keys in.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

My neighbour had a mini metro with the retaining nut removed from the steering wheel - he would simply lift off the wheel and take it with him after parking up! 😂

As a former Metro owner ( had two, an Austin & a Rover version ) 

The helpful people that built the cars put a sticker with the key number stuck on the steering column, just needed to pop the fuse box cover door off to view it 🤣

Not that car thieves needed the correct key for a Metro 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hayzee said:

I have used the Milenco for over 2 years but purchased it with the optional protective steering wheel pads. No problems with steering wheel dents.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a6c7f1536dc18a8e612c0838f1b0ea8.jpeg

Just ordered thank you. Will try that and microfiber cloths as @erniebmentioned. Never had an issue on the last PHEV.

I have been using the Milenco with a cloth like ernie suggested and I don't have any dent. I have to use a yellow one so it doesn't look too bad 😀

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I'd go the other way on this. The steering lock means I don't have to worry about it. We are a very quiet cul de sac in a decent area of town but my new AMG Merc was still broken into, transponder relay attack. They couldn't start the car for whatever reason but made a mess of the inside out of spite. Gozzed and snotted everywhere.

I don't have any worries about insurance. It's a blanket corporate policy so makes no odds. What does make odds is the inconvenience and hassle for months until I can get another version of the same car which ideal for my use case. And all my mountaineering and survival gear I need to replace.

The cost for me is about time and hassle of theft. If that means using a clearly visible steering lock as a deterrent to minimise the risk then I'm all for it.

• Like 5

Hi, If Toyota pulled thier b####y finger out and fixed this problem electronically like they promised ( late March/ beginning of April 2024 ) then none of us would have these problems.

In fairness to Toyota,if you have a post 2022 model, Do you really need to be having to use these add on steering locks?
Terry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I'd go the other way on this. The steering lock means I don't have to worry about it. We are a very quiet cul de sac in a decent area of town but my new AMG Merc was still broken into, transponder relay attack. They couldn't start the car for whatever reason but made a mess of the inside out of spite. Gozzed and snotted everywhere.

I don't have any worries about insurance. It's a blanket corporate policy so makes no odds. What does make odds is the inconvenience and hassle for months until I can get another version of the same car which ideal for my use case. And all my mountaineering and survival gear I need to replace.

The cost for me is about time and hassle of theft. If that means using a clearly visible steering lock as a deterrent to minimise the risk then I'm all for it.

11 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Hi, If Toyota pulled thier b####y finger out and fixed this problem electronically like they promised ( late March/ beginning of April 2024 ) then none of us would have these problems.

In fairness to Toyota,if you have a post 2022 model, Do you really need to be having to use these add on steering locks?
Terry

The PHEV is not affected by the CANbus attack. For me it's just another deterrent especially for dumb criminals that can't tell the difference between hybrid and PHEV. If they see the hardened steel steering lock they may just do one.

• Like 1

Just now, Terry10 said:

So this is not just the Toyota issue is it.If they have tried your mag then that is a wider problem unfortunately.

I have to concede that it appears the security issue with early models has rolled over to all Rav 4 models. Can't win by even changing cars can you. 🤷🏻🤷🏻

regards Terry

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

So this is not just the Toyota issue is it.If they have tried your mag then that is a wider problem unfortunately.

I have to concede that it appears the security issue with early models has rolled over to all Rav 4 models. Can't win by even changing cars can you. 🤷🏻🤷🏻

regards Terry

It's an issue all round.

The solution is to add layers of security and deterrence.

It just needs to be better than the next car. Like running from a bear. You don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than one other person running away.

• Like 1

One of my issues with the millenco was that even with the steering wheel protectors I felt it was too big for the steering wheel really as would slip down and press on the paddles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dkp001 said:

One of my issues with the millenco was that even with the steering wheel protectors I felt it was too big for the steering wheel really as would slip down and press on the paddles.

Interesting, I like the fit on the PHEV it sits fine from my prospective, each to their own I guess.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Interesting, I like the fit on the PHEV it sits fine from my prospective, each to their own I guess.

Absolutely perfect on the last car, 2021. No problem. But on the GRS not so much. Softer less robust material on the wheel, more sticky out controls (the unnecessary paddle shifters), and I'm not sure if the wheel is very slightly smaller but haven't measured it. 

I'll try the foam pads and a cloth. See what happens.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links