Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

bZ4X Charging rejection.

paulzog

Hi, first post so please excuse any mistakes.

I took delivery of Vision 4wd last Thursday 12th September but my Ohme charger is still awaiting fitting (what a useless bunch they are). However, I have a Growatt EV charger from 2019 when I had a PHEV Outlander which I have reconnected as a 'dumb charger' because their app. was appalling & still is. So my charger will charge when plugged in & the bZ will do the controlling. I have Octopus Go so 8p per KWH between 00.30 & 05.30, first night /early morning I plugged in at 00.30 & it started charging when Battery was at 60% - result. Next session I got more ambitious & set up the 5 hour slot in the car schedule system, the Battery was about 70% & next day checked - fully charged, now feeling rather pleased with myself & the car. 3rd session - fail!, car didn't charge. Lots of head scratching & thought that the Growatt had somehow got confused as it does attempt to use it's App or I had somehow damaged the unit. Plugged the 3 pin domestic charger that came with the car & after tapping 'charge now' because I was outside of the schedule it started charging. This pointed to a fault with the charger but after much surfing & thought process's I had an idea that the amount of charge in the Battery had influenced this fail as the battery was at 87%. To prove or disprove my thoughts on Monday 16th I went on an extended trip to see old friends in Oxfordshire & Northamptonshire plus a drop in to Clarkson's pub (which was shut!) & when I got back home the battery was at 25%. Plugged in Growatt & it worked, so somewhere in the bZ system is a rejection of a 7kw charger at 87% ish, but an acceptance of domestic 3kw charger. I presume this is to protect the battery & guess that when the 7kw is plugged in at a lower percentage as it gets near it starts limiting the input. I then tried to find out where the 'line' was. Tonight the battery was at 78% & the 7kw charger was again accepted. So somewhere between 87% & 78% it changes, I've surfed for this information & can not find anyone across the globe that has mentioned this issue. I will keep experimenting until I get the answer!

Other observations, on my jolly I achieved 3.5 miles per KWH according to the screen which meant I should have gone 252 miles (72 x 3.5) but I went further & had 40 miles left when I got back! Cost me £5.76 for the whole trip - fantastic!

My car doesn't seem to want to keep its trip history & replaces it each day, can't find any settings which alter this.

Early days but I can not believe how good this car is, a genuine pleasure to drive & so much quicker than its 6.9 seconds 0-60 suggest, did notice in the spec. that it has 'acceleration supressed at low speeds' so this would hinder the car off the line - again to defend battery & tyres I guess. 

Not perfect, Sat Nav average & some settings hard to find.

Brakes on its own when approaching junction, roundabouts & other cars even when cruise etc is set to off.

Noticed lots of complaints from the 'septics' regarding range & slow charging when they go on a 700 plus mile trip, can't understand why they would use this car for that considering their petrol/diesel is £2.66 per gallon & their rapid charge is about 50p per KWH which makes it more expensive than an ICE once you charge away from home. 

petrol/diesel is £2.66 per gallon
where do you buy petrol at that price cheapest near me is £1.30 per litre which equates to £5.85 per gallon 

paulzog. - I think Dezzer21 queried the prices as your profile says Worcestershire !  

Our prices are far more expensive, the comparative between Ultra chargers and petrol are not too dissimilar. In the UK almost all Ultra chargers are £ 0.75+ / kw which at say 3kw / mile motorway driving = £ 0.25 / mile and petrol at £ 1.50 / litre and say 35 mpg = £ 0.19 / mile. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links