Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 2014 Business Edition - Hill start assist issues

toyotathebest

Hi everyone.

I've recently purchased a RAV4 2.0 D-4D (2014 Business Edition 4x2). 

My understanding is that this model should have hill start assist, but when I test it on a hill, nothing happens and without clutch control, the vehicle rolls back   Does anyone know if this model has HAC and if so, how do I activate it?

Thanks for your help

Don't know about this model, but typically it is either automatic, or you have to first press hard on the foot brake then release the parking brake and use the clutch to get into gear. Pressing hard on the foot brake activates HAC until the clutch is engaged.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick reply Giles - Since my RAV4 is a manual, I've tried the method you've suggested, but nothing happens.  Is there a dashboard or a button light that comes on and if so, what does it look like?

I don't recall there being any visual indicator, from recollection just pressing hard on the footbrake and releasing would maintain the car stationary until I got into 1st gear.

• Like 1

I've just gone and tried again.  Apologies for being stupid, but would you mind breaking down each step? 

This is my understanding and the method I'm using:-

1. Start car on a uphill with parking brake on
  2. Press brake pedal (hard)
  3. Release parking brake
  4. Press clutch down and put into gear 1
  5. Release brake pedal (Car starts rolling backwards)
  6. Quickly do clutch control i.e by lifting clutch pedal and using accelerate pedal.

1 minute ago, toyotathebest said:

I've just gone and tried again.  Apologies for being stupid, but would you mind breaking down each step? 

This is my understanding and the method I'm using:-

1. Start car on a uphill with parking brake on
  2. Press brake pedal (hard)
  3. Release parking brake
  4. Press clutch down and put into gear 1
  5. Release brake pedal (Car starts rolling backwards)
  6. Quickly do clutch control i.e by lifting clutch pedal and using accelerate pedal.

So (from memory) if you have hill start assist you shouldn't start rolling backwards at step 5.

• Like 1

Thanks, but does that mean that I'm following the process correctly or is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Just now, toyotathebest said:

Thanks, but does that mean that I'm following the process correctly or is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Seems right to me, can't be sure this is for this model, but it's how the feature has worked for me previously (either automatically, or via the hard brake press thing).

• Like 1

Doesn't make sense though mate.  I'm sure my model should have HAS as standard.  If you take a look at the RAC review for 2013-2015, it clearly states the following:-

Hill-start Assist Control to get you up steep slopes and Down-hill Assist to ease you down the other side are both available.

image.thumb.png.d29c930c6492f2c62d16ececbf27b4fa.png

Maybe it is just faulty. This is what I see online, which confirms the procedure:

Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC) is a safety feature in many Toyota vehicles that prevents a car from rolling backward when starting on an incline. It works by automatically applying the brakes for a short time after the driver releases the brake pedal. This helps to ensure a smooth start and reduces the risk of a collision. 

Here's how HAC works: 

• Detects an incline: Sensors in the vehicle detect when the car is on an incline. 

• Maintains brake pressure: When the driver selects a forward gear and firmly presses the brake pedal, HAC maintains brake pressure for up to two seconds. 

• Releases the brakes: When the driver presses the accelerator pedal, the brakes are released. 

• Works on- and off-road: HAC can work on both flat and off-road surfaces. 

HAC is available on many Toyota models, including the RAV4, Auris, Prius, Prius+, Verso, and Land Cruiser. 

• Like 1

You maybe right that there might be a fault, but the dilemma I have is that I don't even know whether it exists on my vehicle.  The below Autotrader adverts are the closest models to my vehicle, except instead of 2014, they were manufactured in 2015.  They clearly mention Hill Started Assist (HAC) within the advert:-

Autotrader Advert 1

Autotrader Advert 2

Even the basic RAV4 Active model has the HAC feature:

Autotrader Advert 3

I have seen reference that 2014 RAV4 D-4D does have HAC feature, hence thinking it might be faulty.

Something to bring up at the next service.

• Like 1

Would you mind me asking where you have seen this reference?

Thanks very much! 

I've figured it out and it works! 😃

So it's actually a lot more simple than I thought.  Here's the steps:-

1. Start the car  on a uphill with parking brake on.
  2. Press brake pedal (hard) - but you MUST press it for a couple of seconds
  3. This will trigger on the traction control light, which will blink on the dashboard
  4. Release parking brake
  5. This time the car stays held for approx 2 seconds

Just in case you're wondering, the traction control light looks like this:

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

What about our 2013 2L Rav4 Icon Automatic ?

Starting on an incline ours seems to slide backwards slightly when we release the handbrake ..

Forget the handbrake ... I had a 2013 D-CAT Icon Auto. As I recall, I could firmly depress the brake pedal until the system beeped. The brakes would then hold for a couple of seconds after the brake pedal was released allowing time to get one's foot onto the accelerator pedal without rolling down the hill. This allows the driver to keep both hands on the wheel rather than holding the car on the handbrake. That's all ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links