Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stress crack on windscreen.

Tetley Tiger

Hi, anybody had problems with an internal stress crack to their windscreen? The photo is not great but the crack is well over 30 cms long and has not been caused by anything hitting the screen from either inside or outside. My insurance covers some of the cost but it will cost me £100 which seems unfair when it is obviously some sort of manufacturing fault.

IMG_1617.jpeg

have you asked your dealer?

I am taking it to a local Toyota dealer tomorrow morning. Problem is , it is due to have new windscreen fitted tomorrow as well which was sorted out through insurance. It was only when a friend looked at it and said it’s an internal stress crack today that I realised that it should not happen. I just wrongly assumed that although I never saw anything hit the car like a stone etc that that was the cause .

It's a case of proving the cause, someone smacking their head on the mirror could have done it

I strongly suspect my first windscreen cracked for similar reasons,  albeit aided by a stonechip of some sort, and Toyota have had a recall on their replacement windscreens which caused a shortage of them earlier in the year.

My current windscreen took a much nastier impact but didn't get a massive crack quickly propagate across like the first one did.

As flash22 says though, the problem is proving it...

• Like 1

I am taking it to a local Toyota dealer tomorrow morning. Problem is , it is due to have new windscreen fitted tomorrow as well which was sorted out through insurance. It was only when a friend looked at it and said it’s an internal stress crack today that I realised that it should not happen. I just wrongly assumed that although I never saw anything hit the car like a stone etc that that was the cause .

Nobody has hit their head on the mirror. I did wonder if the dash cam fitted would possibly have some effect on it but that was fitted by the Toyota sales room at purchase as an added extra. 

Update: local Toyota dealership has acknowledged it as a manufacturing defect with many Yaris affected . Was told as the numbers are large it could take sometime to sort out !

what are they going to do about it - probably not legal to drive?

2 hours ago, Tetley Tiger said:

Update: local Toyota dealership has acknowledged it as a manufacturing defect with many Yaris affected . Was told as the numbers are large it could take sometime to sort out !

Is there any indication of a recall? - large number of vehicles affected and dealership confirmation of it being a manufacturing defect suggests a recall should happen.  Will a new windscreen benefit from the fault being rectified, or could it happen again?

2 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

what are they going to do about it - probably not legal to drive?

There is certainly the possibility of the weakened screen seriously breaking up - and suddenly.  You are still paying for your tax and insurance, and prevented from using your vehicle because of a manufacturing error.  A lengthy suspension of use does, IMHO, justify the provision of a courtesy car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links