Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Tyres

ernieb

8 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Good video.

Several very good tyres here.

A little surprised by the wet handling score on the CC2s TBH but up against steep competition. Definitely miles better than the stock Bridgestones and Yokohamas.

Yeah it's a bit weird as the slightly worse wet performance has been cited before by him, but I think it's not very representative - He's driving them like I do :whistling1: :laugh: but normal people don't drive like that in the wet, and at normal speeds the CC1 and CC2 are much better in the wet than the results suggest.

I think the CCs are built to a certain limit in the wet and he's exceeding them, as from what I've read they are pretty grippy in the wet up to a certain point then they suddenly drop off as they reach the limit of water they can displace.

• Like 2

The wet tyre performance of the CC tyres is very much why I buy the tyre. I’ve said before but driving on the motorway when it’s extremely wet and lorry’s creating waves of water these tyres just stay planted. However, I significantly reduce my speed to match what I consider to be safe. But still see powerful cars with very low profile tyres still pounding down the outside lane.

• Like 4

I need to replace the front tyres on my C-HR shortly.

Currently has the factory fitted 225/45 R19 96W XL - Continental Premium Contact 6 on, I was tempted to fit a pair of Premium Contact 7 ( on to the rear axle ) or do I stick a complete set of Continental All Season Contact 2 on it? 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Currently has the factory fitted 225/45 R19 96W XL - Continental Premium Contact 6 on, I was tempted to fit a pair of Premium Contact 7 ( on to the rear axle ) or do I stick a complete set of Continental All Season Contact 2 on it? 🤔

I would go for the latter, I have them on mine. Good tyre and excellent wear rate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Put a pair of all season contacts on the rear, and wear out the older tyres on the front ...

(That is exactly what we are currently doing on the wife's C-HR)

3 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Put a pair of all season contacts on the rear, and wear out the older tyres on the front ...

(That is exactly what we are currently doing on the wife's C-HR)

I would absolutely NOT under any circumstances mix tyre types! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

I would absolutely NOT under any circumstances mix tyre types! 

That's fine - no one is asking you to do so - but it isn't an issue provided you have the same 'pattern' on both ends of the axle. It's not uncommon to change a pair of tyres at a time, but both tyres on each axle really must be the same pattern and at a similar state of wear. 😉

12 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Whilst this is generally not advised (mixing tyre types on a car, ie summer/winter/all season) due to fact this may cause handling to become unexpectedly variable as temperatures drop, if your vehicle is FWD and your putting the "safer" style of tyre on the rear, then this is probably the least worst way of doing this. This would mean that as temps drop and conditions become slippier, the car's driving dynamics will tend towards understeer rather than over steer, which is much easier/more predictable to deal with than the alternative. 

If your car is AWD, then this becomes a more difficult conundrum, as if the rears have more grip in inclement weather and the fronts start to lose traction in a corner, as the AWD system kicks in rears, you might find it drives you forward and off the road/into a ditch. The alternative with a FW-biased AWD system is to put the "safer" tyres on the front axle, but then you risk the oversteer/jackknifing problem. 

Mixing tyres is absolutely no go and even illegal in some other countries. 
The worst mix and match is between different seasons as the example above. No matter fwd, rwd or awd once you have mixed your tyres you have created a problem. And believe me unpredictable under steer is as bad as oversteer and in both ways when this happens unless you are trained professional or sport driver you will not be able to deal with the situation and lose control of your car. 
Do all 4 corners same tyres . 
And putting new on the rear is bad idea too. Everything wrong with automotive industry lately. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Mixing tyres is absolutely no go and even illegal in some other countries. 
The worst mix and match is between different seasons as the example above. No matter fwd, rwd or awd once you have mixed your tyres you have created a problem. And believe me unpredictable under steer is as bad as oversteer and in both ways when this happens unless you are trained professional or sport driver you will not be able to deal with the situation and lose control of your car. 
Do all 4 corners same tyres . 
And putting new on the rear is bad idea too. Everything wrong with automotive industry lately. 

I recently saw a CHR for sale, it had two different manufacturer tyres on the front axle. It was a Toyota used approved, at a main dealer, not good.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, philip42h said:

That's fine - no one is asking you to do so - but it isn't an issue provided you have the same 'pattern' on both ends of the axle. It's not uncommon to change a pair of tyres at a time, but both tyres on each axle really must be the same pattern and at a similar state of wear. 😉

Yes you are! You are proposing summer tyres on one axle and all season tyres on another. That is most definitely not recommended and may be illegal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Yes you are! You are proposing summer tyres on one axle and all season tyres on another. That is most definitely not recommended and may be illegal. 

Not recommended but pretty sure it's not illegal either. Although I seem to recall having old bangers in the 80s with a different tyre on every wheel including a couple of remolds. 😂🤷🤦

I sent the wife with her mini to the dealer recently because one of the rear tyres had a badly cracked side wall (and she needed new rear brake pads). I said, ask them to put 2 new tyres on the back since both were also 2/3rds worn down, and to match the tyres with the front.

Instead they simply replaced the rear tyre with a cracked wall with a different tyre to the other rear. They told her it was cheaper and it would save her money. All credit on that front but now she has different tyres on the rear in terms of tread pattern and in terms of wear. I'll now need to sort this out myself as is all too frequently the case on everything. 

Mitigating factor is she doesn't drive far nor fast and it is FWD and they're all summer tyres at least. But I just wouldn't have done it because of hard braking asymmetric vehicle response risk. Why risk it? Makes no sense these days.

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

putting new on the rear is bad idea too

I used to believe this also, but read an interesting article about a recent study by Michelin and evidently although a widespread belief even amongst those in the motor trade, the people who develop, test, and manufacture the tyres strongly believe the opposite:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/364252/half-drivers-think-new-pair-tyres-should-go-cars-front-wheels-theyre-wrong

The downside of following this advise in a FWD car is obviously that the front axle will need replacing more frequently, assuming you move the rears to the front when getting 2 new tyres (and putting news on the rear axle), tho I would imagine you won't be losing any money, eg replacing 2x tyres twice yearly shouldn't cost a lot different from replacing 4x tyres once yearly (or any similarly linear timescale). Apart from various special offers involving "buy 2 tyres get £10 off; buy 4 tyres get £30 off" etc

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

And believe me unpredictable under steer is as bad as oversteer and in both ways when this happens unless you are trained professional or sport driver you will not be able to deal with the situation and lose control of your car

I completely agree with this btw. My "least worst" discussion was mainly predicated on the reality that advice can only be offered, not enforced. People will do what they do. I simply have to hope that they're not on the road near/at the same time as me/a loved one! 

• Like 2

Up until a few years ago I had cross climates for years on various cars then I decided to go for winters and summer tyres changing through the seasons it’s been a mistake that I wouldn’t repeat in future would definitely go back to all seasons , it’s cost a fortune in tyre changes twice a year 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mike2222 said:

I used to believe this also, but read an interesting article about a recent study by Michelin and evidently although a widespread belief even amongst those in the motor trade, the people who develop, test, and manufacture the tyres strongly believe the opposite:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/364252/half-drivers-think-new-pair-tyres-should-go-cars-front-wheels-theyre-wrong

The downside of following this advise in a FWD car is obviously that the front axle will need replacing more frequently, assuming you move the rears to the front when getting 2 new tyres (and putting news on the rear axle), tho I would imagine you won't be losing any money, eg replacing 2x tyres twice yearly shouldn't cost a lot different from replacing 4x tyres once yearly (or any similarly linear timescale). Apart from various special offers involving "buy 2 tyres get £10 off; buy 4 tyres get £30 off" etc

These are all marketing strategies to sell more tyres. 
Safety testing also wrong., because it has been done in controlled environment on the track flooded with 3-5cm of even water and cars pushed to the limits . Sorry but if anyone drives in real world like that and has worn out tyres on any axle is simply looking for trouble or should not have a license at first place. When is raining everyone should reduce speed and increase distance, switch off cruise control and continue its journey with no so much of a importance where are fitted the newer tyres and if the older one are way too different then they should have been replaced too. 
The car industry lack common sense these days and this includes manufacturers, dealers, owners and drivers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

No Adrian, I am not proposing that you, Adrian, do so - it is entirely your choice whether you change tyres singly, in pairs or all four at once.

It is perfectly legal, and I am perfectly happy, to change tyres in pairs as described and, specifically, the switch from running on four summer tyres to running on all season tyres can safely, and economically, be accomplished by switching a pair at a time provided that the tyres on the car are appropriate to it and in good condition.

44 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Not recommended but pretty sure it's not illegal either. Although I seem to recall having old bangers in the 80s with a different tyre on every wheel including a couple of remolds. 😂🤷🤦

I sent the wife with her mini to the dealer recently because one of the rear tyres had a badly cracked side wall (and she needed new rear brake pads). I said, ask them to put 2 new tyres on the back since both were also 2/3rds worn down, and to match the tyres with the front.

Instead they simply replaced the rear tyre with a cracked wall with a different tyre to the other rear. They told her it was cheaper and it would save her money. All credit on that front but now she has different tyres on the rear in terms of tread pattern and in terms of wear. I'll now need to sort this out myself as is all too frequently the case on everything. 

Mitigating factor is she doesn't drive far nor fast and it is FWD and they're all summer tyres at least. But I just wouldn't have done it because of hard braking asymmetric vehicle response risk. Why risk it? Makes no sense these days.

TBH the main dealer needs calling out for that. Yes, in the dim and distant past I have probably driven with different tyre brands/patterns on the same axle but generally have always been vigilant about tyres. An example of mixing tyres was an older Merc I bought a couple of years ago. It was an exceptionally well maintained ultra low mileage 17 year old car with a fresh MOT. The MOT picked up it needed a new tyre and fitted one budget brand on the rear. The other tyre on the rear although legal was down at 2mm and a premium Continental. The fronts were also continentals about 10 years old. I test drove it and the rear was all over the place and circulating a roundabout produced some interesting behaviour. I took a gamble, bought it, put 4 new Goodyear Vector tyres on and the car was utterly transformed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

No Adrian, I am not proposing that you, Adrian, do so - it is entirely your choice whether you change tyres singly, in pairs or all four at once.

It is perfectly legal, and I am perfectly happy to change tyres in pairs as described and, specifically, the switch from running on four summer tyres to running on all season tyres can safely, and economically, be accomplished by switching a pair at a time provided that the tyres on the car are appropriate to it and in good condition.

I realise it wasn’t aimed at me, you were replying to the previous posts. However We will simply have to agree to differ with the issue of safe aspects of your suggestion. It may be legal but I cannot accept it is safe, certainly not in extreme situations. 

On 9/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, Hayzee said:

I am pleased with my choice of Continentals and this confirms my decision. The Pirelli outcome is a big surprise. My son had Pirelli all seasons on his RR Velar last winter and they were utterly useless in the snow. He changed to Continental winter tyres. 

7 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

TBH the main dealer needs calling out for that. Yes, in the dim and distant past I have probably driven with different tyre brands/patterns on the same axle but generally have always been vigilant about tyres.

We can agree to differ on the other matter, and agree on this one ... 🙂

While there are occasions when we have to resort to having different brands / patterns on the same axle - e.g. we put on a temporary spare or have to replace a damaged tyre in an emergency when our chosen brand / pattern isn't available - I would always want to resolve that situation as soon as possible ... probably by replacing both tyres on the affected axle so that they are the same pattern and identical levels of wear.

Having used CC on previous vehicles, and been very happy with them, I was going to get them for the RAV4 when the original manufacturer fitted tyres needed replacing. But then, looking at my usage, living in the South of UK, often WFH, realised I'd not actually had to drive on snow for many years now, and even sub zero temperatures are becoming less common. The highest proportion of my milage is very much over Summer touring UK/Europe. Came to the conclusion, that for me, I was more concerned by wet performance, longevity, cost and noise. Ended up going for Goodyear EfficientGrip2 https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip-Performance-2.htm
Had these for a year now, and very happy. Done very well in the torrential rain of the last week, driving cross country delivering kids to Uni, and would recommend.

• Like 3

I had Goodyear EG on a car before I started using winter or all season. I agree they are very good. The Police used to spec them, may still do. 

• Like 3

I never mix tyres these days as the handling remains predictably the same. I have in years past mixed tyres and enjoyed shifting under and over steer however that was when I enjoyed throwing a vehicle around and finding its limits and exceeding them - not something to do as a responsible adult and certainly not as a RAV driver surely. The biggest issue with unpredictable handling is you only find out that is the case when the car just doesn't do as you expected and you therefore end up where you really didn't want to be, is that worth saving a few pounds?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links