Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021 Corolla 1.8 Hybrid change in battery/ECU behaviour

KALA_

Hi!

sorry in advance if this issue has already been discussed and most likelly is since this seems to be such an active community!

So i got this car 5weeks or so and it sits around 53k miles. My question is related to how and when the car switched between EV and petrol mode and how it has changes few days back.

First 5 weeks owning the car the switch between EV and petrol was more or less like i have been reading on variois forums. Battery sits around 3-5 bars out of max 8 and lifting from gas ar lower speeds EV activates etc

What i have noticed now is that the car does not go to EV mode at the same Battery levels as it used to. Before it maintained around 3-5 bars out of 8 and now it really wants to go to 6-7, even in red lights the engine turns on at 5 bars and loads it up to 6-7  

Also one completelly new thing i noticed is that car would drive on EV (according to dashboard arrow goes from Battery to wheels) but engine still maintains. 1.5k RPM for a while Any ideas or guesses why this sudden change in behaviour?

PS:

- engine was warm

- outside temp 13celsius

- half a tank of fuel

- AC on and AUTO mode with target temp of 21celsius

- no warning lights in dashboard

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

21C that is the mostly likely answer.

• Like 1

You mean the difference in outside 13c and my target 21c?

I will be interested to see what the winter brings me when outside temp drops as low as -25c 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Turn off the HVAC or lower the temperature setting and see how it behaves. On dry cool mornings we're currently getting, I leave it off. Before I put the car into the garage, I turn it off. Minimises the time/fuel used to warm the cabin and I'm still currently able to reverse the car out when cold, shut the garage and drive first 75 yards or so in EV (further if no traffic and I keep below 20mph).

All things you learn as you get used to Toyota hybrid. Or just drive it and ignore dials/readouts/gauges 🤣

• Like 1

Most likely change in ambient temperature. Colder weather makes machines work harder. It can also impact the ability of the traction Battery to take charge or output energy.

It's typical to see a significant increase in fuel consumption over winter - more of an increase than a conventional car. It won't offset all the benefits of the hybrid system but it's very noticeable.

My 1.8 goes from mid 60mpg in the summer to mid 50mpg in the winter. Things I specifically notice:

• When backing the car out of the garage the ICE starts within 30 seconds instead of staying off until I call for power.
  • I struggle to get through a local village entirely on electric power when coming through home due to the incline.
  • A half mile long section of road that I can just about manage to drive at 50mph on electric power becomes impossible without using the ICE or letting the speed drop as low as 40mph (and other motorists will not like you doing that).

But it's just the way it is. I'm still using less fuel than most of the cars around me but the difference is not as large as it is in summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndrueC said:

Most likely change in ambient temperature. Colder weather makes machines work harder. It can also impact the ability of the traction battery to take charge or output energy.

It's typical to see a significant increase in fuel consumption over winter - more of an increase than a conventional car. It won't offset the benefits of the hybrid system but it's very noticeable.

My 1.8 goes from mid 60s in the summer to mid 50s in the winter. Things I specifically notice:

• When backing the car out of the garage the ICE starts within 30 seconds instead of staying off until I call for power.
  • I struggle to get through a local village entirely on electric power when coming through home due to the incline.
  • A half mile long section of road that I can just about manage to drive at 50mph on electric power becomes impossible without using the ICE or letting the speed drop as low as 40mph (and other motorists will not like you doing that.

But it's just the way it is. I'm still using less fuel than most of the cars around me but the difference is not as large.

Thanks for the answer. My main question/concern is because of th sudden change how it behaves. If it works as intende im all good :)

Just now, KALA_ said:

Thanks for the answer. My main question/concern is because of th sudden change how it behaves. If it works as intende im all good 🙂

I don't typically see a sudden and dramatic change in performance but some of the things listed above feel sudden. The ICE always coming on is triggered, I think, by the garage ambient temperature being below 16c. So one day it'll let me drive to the end of my road on electric, the next day the ICE starts before I'm half way out of the garage.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KALA_ said:

Thanks for the answer. My main question/concern is because of th sudden change how it behaves. If it works as intende im all good 🙂

The hybrids run engine not just to maintain cabin heat or engine temperature but also to maintain hybrid Battery state of charge, deviation between the different cells, and 12v Battery recharging. 
The change of the car behaviour might be as a result of these above and it will sort itself out with the time. 
How much do you drive and how often ? 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

The hybrids run engine not just to maintain cabin heat or engine temperature but also to maintain hybrid battery state of charge, deviation between the different cells, and 12v battery recharging. 
The change of the car behaviour might be as a result of these above and it will sort itself out with the time. 
How much do you drive and how often ? 

I drive every other day approx. Usually shorter in city distances 10-15km

Should i get into habit of taking ”scenic” routes just to get more distance in?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links