Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid ok for low mileage driver?

yarissoph

I'm planning on selling my first car which is a 2017 toyota yaris hybrid without waffling on its due to the Battery constantly going flat. I've only got an automatic licence so when I went to the toyota garage the only thing they could offer that wasn't hybrid (I didnt want hybrid due to first one having issues) was the aygo but the boot isn't big enough for me. I would say I drive about 30 miles a week minimum however I will drive more with my next car as I'm more confident with my driving now and have learnt from this experience not to leave my car too long. Anyway my question is now that all the newer toyota yaris are hybrid do you think there less likely to have Battery issues or do you think I don't drive enough and should just get a normal petrol car? Anyone on here have a hybrid and don't do big mileage? 

• Like 1

The newer hybrid isn't going to solve your problem of low mileage. Your car is 7 years old, not surprising to have Battery issue with low usage. For the record, I had a 2016 which I had for 5 years and no Battery issue. Don't do big mileage, though I know how to look after the Battery

The cheapest thing to do is keep current car, replace the battery and have a read on leaving in ready mode or charge the car once a week when not in use. Read top pinned thread on maintenance/12v battery.

• Like 1

I would rather buy an aygo x cvt automatic or look for another brand. 
Hybrid and low mileage not the best combination as you already know. 
Skoda, seat, Vw, Hyundai or kia all offer good small cars. Just research what engines they have and avoid those with wet belt , buy a car with timing chain instead. 

3 hours ago, yarissoph said:

Anyone on here have a hybrid and don't do big mileage? 

This low mileage killing the 12V Battery isn't really a hybrid thing. Pretty much all modern cars are at risk because they have a lot of electronics that are live, albeit in a low current mode, that drain the Battery. So just going non-hybrid is not a solution.

That said I don't do a big mileage - 2-3k a year - but I am a little spooked by these reports and do keep an eye on it. (I've actually just this afternoon given it a top-up charge as I'm going away for a couple of weeks on Monday ... just in case.) I'd probably be better off using taxis and the odd hire car, but it's hard to change. 

A more immediate issue for you is cost. Hybrids are significantly more expensive than other automatics, even in the used space, and for low mileages the savings in fuel won't recover that initial expense. So for your use a cheaper 'normal' automatic would probably make more sense financially.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links