Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris v Yaris cross.

ronnyb

Been looking to buy either a Yaris cross or Yaris. Prefer the look of the Yaris and went to see a couple today. One thing surprised me that with the drivers seat in my normal driving position there seemed to be more legroom in the Yaris back seat than the cross.  Mrs R disagreed and thought the rear of the cross was more roomy. Any thoughts.

Only you will know which one suits your needs better. Yaris has better driving dynamics as it's smaller. YC is higher up and have a bigger boot, though can be slightly under power and noisy engine when pushed for high speed driving, unless going for 130hp. 

# Since you are considering both, it probably means boot space isn't a priority nor a higher seating position, if that is the case then the Yaris is the choice. 

• Like 4

Your needs are what you should base your choice of car on. I never have more than one passenger and if I need more room in the boot I throw down the back seats. The Yaris is my choice and it's lively enough without the 130. It's relatively quiet on the move and comfortable on long journeys which I do a lot of. It's a little genius of a car and I have driven both on test drives, so the choice is yours, Happy motoring. 

• Like 5

You can always cross-compare 😉 brochures of Y and YC to check if there are features which are more important to both of you in a specific trim model you are considering. There are some unique to just the cross. 

• Like 1

The Yaris is a poor man's Yaris Cross.  🙂

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5

I looked at both. I'm just under 6' and found that the seating position/windscreen rake in the Yaris bought my head in close contact with the top of the A postdoor shut getting in and out, also found that the rake off the windsreen bought the top edge close to me and quite in my eyeline which I found annoying. I am more than happy with the the Yaris X.

Kev.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob66 said:

The Yaris is a poor man's Yaris Cross.  🙂

The Yaris cross is the Yaris’s ugly sister. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Current Yaris has been in production since June 2020 & must be due a mid life facelift soon. 

58 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Current Yaris has been in production since June 2020 & must be due a mid life facelift soon. 

It’s just had one! But you can’t tell until you get inside they’ve changed the multimedia system and the instrument cluster. And also introduced a new slightly more powerful motor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some visible changes on the outside as well, especially in upper trims, like new color and new alloys for Premiere or front grill with a touch of silver in GR Sport I think. For me it's noticeable 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hind said:

There are some visible changes on the outside as well, especially in upper trims, like new color and new alloys for Premiere or front grill with a touch of silver in GR Sport I think. For me it's noticeable 🙂 

Even my24 design got a different alloy to the previous one😝 pretty sure the icon has a different one too

• Like 2

Hi Ronald

I test drove 4 Toyota's when looking for a car:

-Rav4 2016 Hybrid 

-Cross (new car)

-Yaris 2021

-C-HR (First gen 2021)

The Yaris Cross has a higher driving position, easier to get in and out, a little softer suspension but no that much, if felt like it needed some more HP, having more roll into the bends, for me it would had been ok, I liked the looks of the car but wife didn't (my wife thinks it looks like a frog 🐸) and due to the looks and the higher price we went for the Yaris. Interior space is not big in the back it was the fact the normal Yaris has a sloping roof that makes it feel smaller, but in day by day usage is not that bad. 

I would recommend looking into C-HR if you have the money (I didn't 😭), it is a class above the Cross for me at least. I LOVE how it looks and seems more refined (quiet) then the Cross & Yaris 

The Yaris is lower driving position but not uncomfortable, I drove 4 times 7-8 hours and I was ok, it feels more like a car then the Cross and the power of the car is more then enough for it's size.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Would also go for the 2.0 Chr 🍊 instead of the cross, purely for the more powerful engine and a class above with electric seats and better insulation. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Thanks all. Pretty much decided on a Yaris. Just one other question is the ride of the Excel with 17  inch alloys hard. I say that because i recently drove a Fiesta ST (not with the intention of buying it) with the bigger alloys and low profile tyres and i coudn't wait to get out of it.

• Like 3

I would say my Excel feels on a par with my previous Mk8 Fiesta (which was an ordinary model, not an ST). Both are fairly firm, but I quite like that. I drove a Yaris Design on test, and honestly couldn't tell the difference between that on the smaller wheels and the supposedly much firmer Excel when I got it; yet, a lot of the online reviewers moan about the ride on the bigger wheels. Only way to be sure for yourself is to drive your choices first.

• Like 3

I agree with Mike. I also test drove a Design before trying (and purchasing) an Excel and don’t find the ride uncomfortable. Just make sure you check the tyre pressures when you take delivery (mine were all at 40psi as supplied by the dealer 😬)

• Like 2

From looking at the spec lists, it would appear that while the facelifted Excel still has 17" wheels, whereas the 2020/21 models (the ones that would have been the press ones) had sports suspension as well.

• Like 1

A decent dealership if part of a network should be able to find an example of a similar mechanical spec of vehicle to the one your thinking of ordering so you could have a test drive. 

• Like 1

It depends what you're used to - I find the Mk4 quite a hard ride, but I previously had a Mk1 and a Mk2 which were very softly sprung (And quite roly poly when giving it some round a bend :laugh: ).

It also didn't help that mine came with 17" rims that were at 60psi instead of 32 when it was handed over :eek:  (Not for long as I had already planned to swap to 15" steel rims due to the pothole-ridden hellscape I regularly drive through :laugh:  Has saved me a small fortune in tyres! :yahoo: )

OTOH my friend is used to his rock-hard Audi and thinks my Mk4 is very comfort-biased. :laugh: 

I will say the Mk4 has far better damping than my old Mk1 and Mk2 - There are roads that would be very bouncy in those that the Mk4 just soaks up the impacts without the subsequent up-down bouncing I'd get in the Mk1 and Mk2. (Although that might easily be because this has brand new shocks, whereas the shocks in the Mk1 and Mk2 were over 10 years old so may have lost some performance...!)

I test-drove both the Yaris and YC. The YC won - for me - because of the ease of getting in and out, and the bigger boot means that it can function as a 'holiday car' if required. Main reason for YC choice though was that the Yaris - at the time - couldn't be ordered with a factory-fit towbar for my bike carrier. None of these issues might be important to you....

Driving wise, I preferred the ride of the YC, but the Yaris, for a small car, is pretty good, considering the awful (and getting worse) roads where I live

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm using both the Yaris and the Yaris Cross on a daily basis. And still... I can not make a strict advice. While they are technically (almost) the same, the controls are ~ the same, they have a completely different visual character, slightly different feel of driving - influenced by the character - and I personally love the similarities and also love those little differences.

That's why we have them both in our family. Basically for different purposes of use.

The Y is perfect for everyday city commute, also for luggage-free country tours (even with 4 of us). The YC is better if we have more things to carry or more time to spend in the car on the back seats. But the main reason of the YC for me is that in the winter season I need to move in alpine conditions every day, and the AWD YC makes me doing it without any stress and in lazy security. It never let me down on any single occasion, let it be fresh new snow or packed-icy roads.

So the only thing I'd suggest is look at them, try them, which one is more 'your style'.

If you need that little extras of the YC then it's a necessity, otherwise pick the one you feel is more 'you'.

(And let me take this opportunity to say thank you for this forum community; I learned a lot and read a lot of interesting and useful things here.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tamas Toth said:

So the only thing I'd suggest is look at them, try them, which one is more 'your style'.

Totally agree, we arranged back-to-back test drives of the Yaris and YC, IMHO it's much the best way to do the 'contrast and compare', and also spent time in the showroom jumping in and out of the cars to appreciate the differences. We also took a tape measure to look at realistic 'what do we need to put into the boot and could we do it', having measured suitcases and collapsible crates

After several non hybrid Yaris, I found the new model much too small. Yaris Cross is much bigger inside and practical for 4 aduits plus luggage, pretty much as economical as the Yaris but maybe a bit slower. 

I have found the Yaris Cross to be an excellent car except for excessive road noise on poor surfaces. Other than that you would be pushed to find better value for money.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Chas G said:

pretty much as economical as the Yaris

IIRC the aerodynamic drag of YC vs Y4 starts to play a role in fuel consumption from the speeds of 40 mph and higher. In other words, in city driving they should achieve similar MPGs with Yaris winning on the high speed roads (but not that much). This may also cause the feeling of it being a bit slower. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links