Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Insurance

Dodie1

Hi all a quick query I have a Rav 4 hybrid 2019 model which I bought from new and also insured via Toyota insurance . Im now told my Toyota insurance that I must add  another cat thatcham alarm system to it in addition to the factory fitted original! I queried this with my dealer who havn't a clue about this demand and certainly have not been notified of such a requirement.

Has any other Rav 4 owner had this problem?  my issue is, Is the factory fitted alarm so ineffective that it needs another alarm system or is Toyota insurance ripping me off?

CAN invader theft - the factory fit security system on your RAV4 is easily beaten & the vehicle can be driven away in under a minute.

There is protection plates available FOC from Toyota dealers but there is a £70 labour charge to fit them.

Most Toyota dealers will act dumb if questioned about CAN invader theft or vehicle security 

I was expecting my RAV4 insurance to either refused or ridiculously expensive this year. I got a letter from the broker saying that it was renewal time and that they wanted to talk to me. That sounded ominous.

When I got there the price was not only not through the roof but was actually down on last year. Since I considered it to be a good deal I took it on the spot.

A few days later I got the automatic emails from the usual comparison sites with yet more even lower quotes so I could, had I waited, have saved even more.

While I understand that London is problematic for insurance I guess the geographical aspect of the risk is more pronounced that I thought.

That said, I still want Toyota to extract their digit and get the promised additional security out to us.

7 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

That said, I still want Toyota to extract their digit and get the promised additional security out to us.

It's not going well over on the Lexus forum.

Apart from the useless protection plates for RX models ( supplied & fitted FOC for Lexus customers ) 

Lexus offer a S7 Battery powered one use only Tracker with 3 years FOC subscription & a geo fence device that plugs in the OBD port.

So the geo fence device tells you the vehicle has been stolen & the tracker ( hopefully ) allows the police to find it.

Nothing to actually stop the vehicle being taken.

Topic moved to Insurance Discussions.

Not impressed with Toyota Insurance insisting that splash out on a professionally fitted Thatcham system. prove that I have. with documentation or photos My dealer who I have used for five years made no mention of the susceptibility of the alarm system! Nice one Toyota!

seems that the best way forward is to find another insurance company (probably cheaper anyway) and think twice about buying a new Toyota. As they seem easier to steal than a Range Rover!!

7 minutes ago, Dodie1 said:

Not impressed with Toyota Insurance insisting that splash out on a professionally fitted Thatcham system. prove that I have. with documentation or photos My dealer who I have used for five years made no mention of the susceptibility of the alarm system! Nice one Toyota!

seems that the best way forward is to find another insurance company (probably cheaper anyway) and think twice about buying a new Toyota. As they seem easier to steal than a Range Rover!!

Good luck with that, some insurance companies won't even quote on certain Toyota / Lexus vehicles due to the theft problem.

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Also if it's of any help we recommend these for vehicle security. Maybe they can offer you some advice.

https://www.gapsecurity.co.uk/

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links