Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fails to start after stalling, restarts after 5mins.

Anna Harris

I have just bought this Toyota Yaris 2008 from a friend. Getting used to driving, I have stalled several times in different situations.Turning key to start again there is no response. Remove key and replace, to try to start agin no response. Concerned people come to give assistance, try to push car off road, I notice steering wheel is locked. If I wait about 5 mins, car restarts no problem. 

When it has stalled are you sure you are pushing and holding the clutch pedal fully to the floor while you turn the key? No thick mats or anything stopping you doing that?

That has to be the first thing to ask before looking deeper for an issue. Its a Toyota, they don't do weird faults as a rule.

If its still having problems perhaps add what version you have, petrol, diesel, engine size etc?

the steering lock is mechanical (unless you have the rare push button keyless start) if you lose power the steering will be very, very heavy, get the alternator and Battery checked and make sure the Battery terminals are tight

if it does it again put the key in the ignition and push up as you turn the key, do you have a spare key you can try

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links