Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smell of burning rubber

Billgo

My CC 1.8 Hybrid is just over 5 months old, on atrip away to Kerry a few weeks ago we got this smell only when the car was stopped. Returned to our hotel and called Toyota Breakdown Service the next day. Nothing found and we returned home the next day. I emailed Toyota Dublin to register my lack of confidence in the car going forward. As a result, the dealer I had bought from phoned, brought a loan car and took ours for testing. Again no result of where the smell might have come from, so we are left with a car that had something burning, but what ?   This is my first Toyata in over 60 years of driving and I am not impressed. At the time of the incident there was about 3,000 km on the clock.

If this was a one-off incident that occurred a while ago never to repeat since, wouldn't it be reasonable to consider that there's actually nothing wrong with the car at all? All cars have hot surfaces (even electric ones have brakes) and bits of debris from the road will inevitably come into contact from time to time. A plastic wrapper on the exhaust, for example?

• Like 1

The plastic bag theory was mentioned as a possible cause, but I would not expect such a smell from this or it lasting for many hours with stops in between. It has put me right off my new car and Toyota.

Just a thought, it’s quite easy to pull out the dip stick and for a few drops of oil land on the engine hot surfaces and this would make a burning oil smell.  I also drive past a land fill site near me that burns waste oil,  could it be from outside the car? I don’t mean to be condescending just thinking of possible causes.   If it only happened once I would forget it so long as you keep a steady high oil level no harm can come to the car.     

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links