Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashcam YC

Qasim

Hi all.

I am looking for recommendations for Dashcam after someone scathed my neighbours new audiq3 while parked on bay.

are there any cameras which record continuously or on impact ?

thanks

The Nextbase dash cams Toyota dealers offer have a built in user replaceable rechargeable Battery for the parking mode function that operates from impact. 

There not the best dash cameras in the world as there built more for fleet use but they do the job. 

Viofo, Blackvue and others. You would need a power pack for the parking mode, which is costly. 

Most decent dashcams come with parking mode function, but they normally need to be hard wired in or powered by the cars OBD port

Everyone has their own opinions and views on dashcams, so best to use Google and do a bit of research.

A good starting point to narrow it down is your budget.

Just on my own personal use and opinion, I used Nextbase for years and they where good, especially if you want one with a screen.  However, due to Nextbase totally rubbish app, I now use ThinkWare Dashcams.

Have a read on https://dashcamtalk.com/

But yes if parking mode with pre buffered recording is the need, look at external power pack.

The Toyota official Nextbase gwx380 is an ok camera, has a Battery and a simple parking mode. External movement and impact will trigger the recording to start, but it takes a little while to start, so you would not get the moment of impact.

I use Viofo and has parking mode with an adapter that will power it down if the car Battery drops below a set voltage.

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

The thing with these hardwire cut offs , would the cut off point be reached fairly quickly due to the Battery draining ?, it did in my previous car, although it never actually flattened the Battery it kinda negated the point of the parking mode giving limited coverage with the cameras…

I have got a Nextbase 380GW and the picture resolution is very good. Mine records movement in front of the car when it's in park mode and has its own standby Battery for when the car is off.

Most importantly it's very easy to use even for me.

The only thing I don't like is that it records my conversation in the car which at times can get a little colourful and I forget it's recording.

• Haha 1

You need to zip your trap chas.......ummmhhh I meant mute it on the dash cam menu 🫣

• Haha 1

The only real way to get full time parking mode is to have the Dashcam connected to a proper Dashcam Battery pack such as Powercell or Cellink.  I'm thinking of getting the ThinkWare iVolt for my set up. But they are all expensive 😭

The inbuilt batteries in a Dashcam don't last that long, especially if you park in a busy street with cars and people constantly going past the car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

You need to zip your trap chas.......ummmhhh I meant mute it on the dash cam menu 🫣

I have a terrible habit of sometimes saying what I am thinking.....it just falls out of my mouth and then I think oh God did I really say that.

I had one incident travelling on the tube. Following a rather slow large man out of the station. I accidentally said "can't you waddle any faster".

It was a miracle I didn't get my head punched in. He was not amused to say the very least.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Primus1 said:

The thing with these hardwire cut offs , would the cut off point be reached fairly quickly due to the battery draining ?, it did in my previous car, although it never actually flattened the battery it kinda negated the point of the parking mode giving limited coverage with the cameras…

The Viofo has a setting in parking mode to take "stills" and stitch them together in parking mode - meaning Battery usage is a lot lighter. It can also trigger on gshock meaning it would only record if the car was disturbed.  

On 9/27/2024 at 8:18 AM, 152bobby said:

The only real way to get full time parking mode is to have the dashcam connected to a proper dashcam battery pack such as Powercell or Cellink.  I'm thinking of getting the ThinkWare iVolt for my set up. But they are all expensive 😭

The inbuilt batteries in a dashcam don't last that long, especially if you park in a busy street with cars and people constantly going past the car.

Yes I have my cameras powered by a blackvue Battery, it does eventually run out of charge, but it will probably power the cameras for longer than in built or power saving hardwired kits, and, mine even has its own app so you can monitor Battery charge..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links