Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Tax - Anyone thinking of getting an electric car

Kopper Bopper

Morning Folks 

just received this morning from DVLA that from the 1st April next year (2025)

you will have to pay road tax (stories say between £180-£190 a year)

don't get me wrong i love my BZ4X and i know people are saying we should pay ( I agree something) but i could have bought another petrol/diesel vehicle 

but what annoys me it change a few years ago  to the amount of emissions your vehicle was putting out and there is some cars still only paying £35 and remember they are putting out emissions

also i know a friend of a friend has 5-6 classic cars and yet they don't pay road tax WHY?

they can afford to buy them they can afford to tax them but again its the well off they don't tax and most of all they are the worst for polluting this planet 

i know people are going to say but they are not on the road all the time but to events etc , but that's the same if you own a motorbike its tax but your not on the road with it every day (unless its your only mode of transport)

any way rant over be interesting what others think?

• Like 3

This was inevitably going to happen. This is a non conspiracy post from me.

Those in government only care about money. They dont care about environment, health, education or anything else.

They have been losing tax revenue from road tax over the years and this change 1) brings it back with a vengeance 2) will eventually means everyone pays it. Even the £40,000 surcharge threshold is rubbish, post covid everythings gone up 10,20,30% and many cars are over this and so equals more money.

There is talk of road pricing per mile and moving away from the VED all together, which again will just extract more money from people. Extremely frustrating when all you want to do is work hard, save what you can and hopefully retire. All of those are under threat from successive governments.

My personal plan, once my child(ren) have grown up I'l selling the car and going to 1 car household. In retirement I will very likely move away from the UK, I'm not paying tax on my pension to support people who want to take money from others, all the while getting free clothes and other junk.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Kopper Bopper said:

Morning Folks 

just received this morning from DVLA that from the 1st April next year (2025)

you will have to pay road tax (stories say between £180-£190 a year)

don't get me wrong i love my BZ4X and i know people are saying we should pay ( I agree something) but i could have bought another petrol/diesel vehicle 

but what annoys me it change a few years ago  to the amount of emissions your vehicle was putting out and there is some cars still only paying £35 and remember they are putting out emissions

also i know a friend of a friend has 5-6 classic cars and yet they don't pay road tax WHY?

they can afford to buy them they can afford to tax them but again its the well off they don't tax and most of all they are the worst for polluting this planet 

i know people are going to say but they are not on the road all the time but to events etc , but that's the same if you own a motorbike its tax but your not on the road with it every day (unless its your only mode of transport)

any way rant over be interesting what others think?

An easy cash cow for the government, there was one plus when it went up across the board to £180 now £190 when i had a choice between a 1lt Aygo X or a 1.5 ICE Yaris both the same tax so why get the 1lt 😁 

• Like 1

VED rates for 2025 will probably increase in the October budget.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

yes i know .... im only saying i got my letter today that its starting next April next year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddie G said:

An easy cash cow for the government, there was one plus when it went up across the board to £180 now £190 when i had a choice between a 1lt Aygo X or a 1.5 ICE Yaris both the same tax so why get the 1lt 😁 

if you remember it was road tax then they decided it was on emissions the more you put out the more you paid there are cars out there because of the low emissions pay only £35 so why are their not going up as well ?

its very easy money for them there for every £1 you put in your car with petrol or diesel you pay 53p fuel duty then there's the 20% VAT   on top of that that's two taxes for the one product 

and if you remember way back VAT was 17.5% then they dropped it to 15% (cant remember what it was for ) for a year then put it up to 20% so they have made there money back and more 

• Like 2

For new electric vehicles with a list price exceeding £40,000, you will now need to pay the expensive car supplement from the second tax payment onwards. This applies to vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025.

This is £500 for the first 5 years then it drops to what ever the rate is which at the moment is £190

again subject to change in 2025

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kopper Bopper said:

For new electric vehicles with a list price exceeding £40,000, you will now need to pay the expensive car supplement from the second tax payment onwards

This is not new nor specific to electric cars. The "Luxury car tax" was introduced in 2017 and applies to all cars. The big fail is that they have not adjusted the price level since the introduction. 40k is no longer representative of a 'luxury' car.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, APS said:

This is not new nor specific to electric cars. The "Luxury car tax" was introduced in 2017 and applies to all cars. The big fail is that they have not adjusted the price level since the introduction. 40k is no longer representative of a 'luxury' car.

yes I should have mentioned Luxury cars and as you say 40K no longer represents luxury cars 

• Like 1

At the moment the “expensive car supplement” of about £ 450 will not apply to EV’s registered before April 2025. What’s the betting that exemption will be removed in next months budget. Currently all bz models have a list over £ 40k so they will have to pay the supplement. Not sure what the list was when it first appeared. They’ll get a fortune if they remove the exemption as most EV’s have a list over £ 40k. 
As EV used prices have plummeted, second hand buyers will be disappointed to find that they paid only say £ 30k for a 1 year old EV but as it’s list was well north of £ 40k they’ll be paying £ 600 road tax. 
In terms of Road pricing I reckon that will initially apply to EV’s as a replacement for the fuel duty, so will be on top of £ 600 road tax. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links