Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

If you have a manual trans you HAVE to consider this mod

UlleB

Hey guys

Just wanted to share a small modification I tried recently. I had the clutch replaced at 165.000 (pretty good lifespan if you ask me) and decided to also replace the shift linkage bushings. I like to replace rubber with metal when it makes sense and so I found some brass shift linkage bushings from Monkeywrench Racing in the US. They have an EU reseller in the Netherlands which I bought from. 

You can see the bushings here: https://imgur.com/a/94AFId6

The install was easy. The list of supported cars didn't include Avensis but this is just because the Avensis isn't sold in the US. I watched a few videos and measured my existing bushings and it was pretty clear it was a direct fit if you have the 6 speed manual transmission on any Avensis from 2009 up until perhaps 2018.

This video shows the install procedure - it took me 30 mins and the OEM bushings weren't stuck on at all, they came right off: 

On my 1.8 VVTI Avensis all you had to do was disconnect MAF, remove airbox and then the bushings are right there and you have a ton of space to work with. 

And let me tell you, the results are magnificent. The gearbox now feels notchy and alongside a new clutch feels like a new and much improved car. I didn't think the bushings would make that big of a difference but it is extremely noticeable in removing slop from the shifting. I can highly recommend this mod or just replacing bushings with more solid ones depending on what you can find online.

The next step for me is installing the CNC machined bushings for the shift lever base to take it one step further. I'm absolutely thrilled with these relatively cheap mods you can actually feel in the car, it makes it so much more enjoyable to drive with the new and more "notchy" trans.

US retailer: https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/mwr-shifter-cable-bushing-set-toyota-models-various/
EU retailer: https://www.rideround.nl/en/product/mwr-shifter-cable-bushings-set-new/

I wish you all a great Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just going to add the clutch was replaced at 165.000 km, not miles. Obviously a new clutch has made a world of difference for the overall feel but I'm quite certain the bushings alone will make a big difference by themselves. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links