Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo starter motor replacement not working

tulwarq

I'm having a few problems with my 2006 Aygo and wondering if anyone would be able to help with any advice please?

Earlier this year it failed to start properly and in an attempt to save a bit of money I tried to fix it myself. The engine wouldn't turn over, so I followed a few tutorials on YouTube and naively thought I could fix it myself.

I replaced the Battery first, as the guy in the shop said it was close to end of life. That didn't get the car started.

I also replaced the clip on the negative terminal of the Battery too (pictured and circled in red) which I had to adjust slightly and make the hole wider (blue bit) so it'd fit over the terminal. Still that didn't solve the problem.

I then replaced the starter motor from one I ordered on eBay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204706826235

Once I'd done the the engine actually turned over and started! I was quite happy and thought I'd managed to fix it, but when I tried to start the car again the next day it didn't start and I was back to square one.

Initially the starter motor wouldn't make any noise at all, all of the dash lights would go out apart from the orange engine light and there was no noise from the starter motor. I persisted and kept trying to turn it over. It's started to now make some noise when turning over (presuming it was stuck or something), now it almost sounds like the starter motor is just spinning or grinding. I've attached a video of it in action.

I really don't have any idea what to do next and don't have the cash to take it to the garage.

Could anyone give me a few pointers to see if I can fix it properly myself please? I feel like I'm quite close to getting it started but not sure what to look for next.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

6951ca41-6bd2-4668-86ee-42dc78768d90.jpg

Those videos sound like the starter pinion (the little gear on the motor output shaft) isn't engaging with the teeth on the flywheel. Check the gear matches exactly the one on the old original motor.

https://youtu.be/NqWNP46ERX0

Worst case the teeth on the flywheel could be broken or missing.

When you mentioned no noise at all... that sounds like another different issue such as no power reaching the motor... but your videos clearly sound like the pinion chattering on the flywheel ring gear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links