Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Random electrical failure

Groovemeister

I’ve got a a 2008 Aygo which has been the cheapest most reliable car I’ve ever had - until now! It started a few weeks ago when the ABS and parking light came on after going over a speed bump and stayed on until I cleared it by turning ignition off and on.

No issues for a week until I popped the headlights on and the ABS and parking light came on again. Also those lights coming on after bumps in the road became much more frequent . Also the Speedo occasionally dropped and flicked back up again. Every now and again the whole dash warning lamps would light. When turning left the power steering was lost temporarily but came back along with the warning  lights, this has happened twice.

the weirdest thing though started happening this week when I came to open the car with the fob and nothing happened and had to open it with the door lock. The car was completely dead but central locking suddenly started responding to the key fob and but when I tried to start the engine nothing happened but the Battery  warning light was dim and flickery. After a couple of jiggles the car started and all electrics were restored.

finally in this sorry saga, I came home from work last night and after a couple of bumps in the road  the ABS light came on and went off but I’m sort of getting used to this by now. Stopped outside my house switched off and locked with fob. Went back to the car and it wouldn’t open with the fob. The car was completely dead, no interior light, no radio, no starter - nothing. Popped the bonnet, fiddled with the Battery terminals tapped the fuse box and still nothing. Dropped the bonnet and bugger me the damn thing started and all electrics restored.

sorry it’s a long winded explanation but I’m at a complete loss as to what’s going on and it’s really starting ( no pun intended) to get on my nerves. I don’t want to scrap the car but I need something I can trust and not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Thoughts gratefully received.

FYI the vehicle has done 68,000 miles. Original alternator but new starter and the Battery is year old budget one from GSF. Battery showed 12volts static and 14 with engine running but no load.

Well I am no mechanic, but my first thought was an earthing fault. I am sure somebody more knowledgeable can give a better answer.

• Like 1

it does sound like a connection issue of some kind to me but I am  not an auto electrician.

Hi Keith,Given the age of your Aygo, the most likely cause of these electrical issues is loose or corroded Battery terminals or grounding problems. These are common in older cars and could explain the intermittent power loss, flickering lights, and issues after hitting bumps.

It could also be due to worn wiring or a problem with the fuse box or Body Control Module (BCM), especially since tapping the fuse box temporarily restored power. I would suggest starting by checking and tightening all Battery and ground connections,this is the most likely and simplest fix.👍

Something is definitely sounds loose, by what you've said, a earth or connection somewhere

Slamming the bonnet is jolting something on temporarily, so you need to go over all your earths and connections

Battery, starter, alternator, all earths etc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links