Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to stop "no key detected" warning

Alastair F

Hi Everyone

When I recently bought my 2007 Rav4, the vendor didn't provide remote smart keys, just traditional keys (that I have found later to be referred to as "Valet" keys).  I have to locate a key next to the ignition button to start the engine.  During driving, I regularly get the "no key detected" warning, and if we stop and anyone opens a door, there is an audible beeping both internally and externally.

This hasn't been a big problem for me up to now - I've been more concerned to be happy with things like engine, clutch, gearbox, brakes, etc.

But now after a few weeks of use, this gets a bit annoying and wondered if it may be possible to disable the "no key detected" warning?

FYI, I spoke with the vendor who said he lost the smart keys.  I also visited the local Toyota dealership about getting a new smart key, and they just rolled their eyes and said it would be very expensive to re-seed the key code and, for an older car such as mine, probably not worth it.

As you can appreciate, this is not a major issue (the car is usable), but it's more of a convenience thing.

Any thoughts, tips or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Alistair,Since you're using a valet key, you're getting the no key detected warning. The valet key doesn’t have the proximity sensor that the smart key does, so the car keeps looking for the smart key’s signal and assumes it’s missing. Unfortunately, there’s no simple way to turn off this warning since the system relies on that signal.

That said, there are a few things you can try. First, it’s worth checking the owner's manual, just in case there’s an option to adjust or disable the warning. Some cars let you tweak certain settings, though it's a long shot for this particular issue.

If that doesn’t work, you could consider an auto locksmiths as they can reprogram a new smart key for less. It will still cost you, but it might be cheaper than going through the dealer and would fix the problem.

Another option is to look into aftermarket keyless entry and ignition systems. These systems replace the factory keyless setup and come with their own remotes. While it won’t be exactly like the original smart key, it’s a potential workaround that could give you similar convenience without the steep cost..👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links