Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV + EV or PHEV... Two car set up?

Nick72

We are gaining another car to make 3 in total given offspring wants one. 

Missus thinking of getting a Mini Cooper EV. Either way our drive is long but narrow, sloped and curved. So it's single file. You could get 3 cars on it. Just one after the other. But I don't think I could live with the car juggling. Been there.

Instead I've put down grass reinforcement plastic sheeting on the lawn. The grass will grow through it but it stops the lawn turning into a mud bath and developing ruts. Feet keep dry too. Being old, infirm, multiple health issues these days it did take me a while to lay it.

So I wondered 2 things...

How do you manage for parking space? Any interesting ideas?

And if you have 2 cars with wall box needs, how are you getting on switching between cars and who gets the charger? Does woman have priority over man (like in my house as there are 3 females here)? 😂

20241002_173346.jpg

• Like 1

That's 2m wide strip number one. There's another to make 4m wide. About 7m long.

Ground is sloping btw so it is very well drained. 

• Like 1

sure you don't need to be told this but put the lightest car on the grass ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

And if you have 2 cars with wall box needs, how are you getting on switching between cars and who gets the charger?

We currently have two hybrids and no charger but that's just too boring for words so ...

The RAV4 is going - I have a bZ4X on order and have just now submitted my photos to Hive for my 'free' charger.

The plan is to upgrade the mk1 C-HR to a CH-R PHEV within the next year or three so we will then have two rechargeable cars (and still have a very effective fallback in the event that EV motoring becomes "too fraught").

We won't have any parking issues - both cars go into the garage. The EV charger will be installed on the back wall between the two so that it can be shared as appropriate, Happily the charging port on the bZ4X is left front and on the C-HR PHEV it is right rear. 🙂

If both need charging at the same time the bZ4X gets the 7.4 kW charger and the PHEV gets charged at 2.3 kW because:

1. That's sufficient to supply a decent charge overnight, and
  2. It doesn't need charging anyway 'cos it's got an ICE.

1 x 7.4KW charger from mains and 1 x 7.4KW from Battery storage  of solar panels deals with two EVs and mains for a PHEV through 3 pin plug - simple enough. As for parking space it looks like you need to move to a place that fits your future needs better, unless you have sentimental reasons to remain where you are of course.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links