Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid upgrades

davet30

Hi,

Sorry to bother you with this and not sure where to look and not sure I could rely on a salesmans response either.

The wife is set her heart on a Yaris Hybrid ideally less than 2 year old

we have seen an advert for one which will be 4 years old in February

her concern (not mine) is could there have possibly been an upgrade of the engine in the period between 2021 and 2024?

and pointers to where to look OR even a straight answer will be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Hi, 

mk4 Yaris hybrids made since 2020 until today comes with same power train and it’s 115bhp 3 cylinder engine and electric motor.
There are 2024 130bhp versions available in GR sport and premier trims which has same engine but upgraded electric motor. 
Common issues with these cars are 12v Battery goes flat if not used daily and rear hatch corrosion on the hinges, and some models made around 2021 can have damper clutch faulty , something that likely to be fixed under warranty. That’s pretty much all. 

• Like 3

2021 is the mk4 current standard model, a fab car. Mk3 is the inferior one so to speak - upto mid 2020.

• Like 3

I think the only ‘upgrade’ to the mk4 engine was earlier this year when (as well as the introduction of the 130bhp power train in GR Sport and Premiere versions) the engine/hybrid control systems were improved.

• Like 2

MK4 is a great car...we changed ours this year as the PCP ended and went for the Premiere with the uprated 130 engine. The engine, dash, multimedia etc are all worthwhile upgrades, but you won't be disappointed with the earlier one. MK3 is an Ok car, but MK4 and beyond is a different league.

• Like 3

I concur with the above comments re the Mark4, it's a fabulous wee car, probably the best I've ever driven. I wouldn't worry too much about the Battery even doing small milage of around 3-4K miles per year. The only possible problem is if the cat sits unused for a couple of weeks it's possible it may run flat depending on the age and condition of the Battery, I'm just speaking in general terms. 

22 reg onwards avoids most of the early Mk4 issues, I would look for a Dynamic or an Excel for the best experience, the Icon models are very basic

the engines are all the same 3-cylinder 1.5 with a cam chain - just keep up on oil and filter changes, a few minor issues when over 120k miles - Member on here has 260k+ Km (160k miles) on their Yaris

2024 onwards on the top-spec models you get the more powerful electric motor that adds 15 bhp (130) and a lot more torque

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links