Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange lurch forward when turning car off

Corolly Poly

Having got my car started and taken it for a short run I connected the CTEK charger and sat inside sorting things out with the car in ready mode. for some reason it had forgotten the password on my profile and I had to enter that again. I also entered some addresses in the onboard satnav. The ICE fired up once. I then turned the car off and alarmingly it lurched forward. Only a couple of inches but enough to make me put the brakes on in case it piled in to my garage!

The car was in 'Park' all of the time I was sat in it.

Any idea why it might do this?

• Like 1

All the hybrids I've had have felt like they lurched when the engine starts and stops. Did it actually move (which shouldn't be possible in Park) or was it just a feeling of lurching?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

All the hybrids I've had have felt like they lurched when the engine starts and stops. Did it actually move (which shouldn't be possible in Park) or was it just a feeling of lurching?

it definitely moved a couple of inches

I used to notice a lurch sometimes with my previous Prius MK2 when the ICE cuts in and apparently it’s quite normal

However my Prius MK4 doesn’t do it 

I think newer cars are less noticeable but still do it. It probably depends on where the pawl sits when you engage P and if on a slope, handbrake applied before or after P engaged.

11 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

It probably depends on where the pawl sits when you engage P

That’s exactly what I was told about the lurching with my Prius MK2

16 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

I think newer cars are less noticeable but still do it. It probably depends on where the pawl sits when you engage P and if on a slope, handbrake applied before or after P engaged.

There is a noticeable hollow on my drive created by many years of big heavy diesel cars front tyres. I usually put my front wheels in there as it gives an indication of how close I am to the garage but may not have gone right in as I knew I would be charging. Maybe it just fell into the hollow as the ICE cut out?

Looks like nothing to worry about anyway thanks

Yes I can confirm that the car didn’t lurched forward but just trying to and made you feel like it moved. This is so typical for any Toyota hybrid and part of the whole experience. Sometimes there can be also knocking noises too or rough start and rough stops of the engine accompanied by a clunk. Don’t worry about it, just send D or R move just few inches and select P . All will be sorted. 
Now why your car will not move at all but only make you feel like it, because when the car is in P and engine start or stops the main brakes on all 4 Wheels are automatically applied.  If someone says I felt on one hybrid but didn’t feel on another it’s just them, not the cars. All hybrids does that, no exceptions. You are safe no need to worry about it. 👌

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links