Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High level brake light replacement query.

Abbs24

Hi, new member here 🙂 Little bit of advice needed please.

I am a fairly new driver, and the first driver in my entire family so have never had to deal with car repairs, so I apologise if this all sounds stupid.

I recently noticed my Aygo (71 model), had water inside the high level brake light. Took it to the dealership today to have it looked at, and they confirmed it needs a new brake light, so I am to go back next week for the repair/replacement.

I was told the repair would be done under warranty as I've only had the car for 4 months, which I was quite pleased about. However, the advisor then said there would be a "strip down charge" to consent to, on top of this, costing around £275, and any damage they find I'd be liable to pay for repairs at a further cost. I have never heard of this, so asked what it was and was told its basically the removal of the light and labour costs. I may be wrong here, but would that not be included in the warranty repair? And also, what exactly are they stripping down for a light replacement? (if that makes sense) 

I am yet to pay anything, but just looking for some advice as to whether this sounds normal or not?

Thank you.

Sounds really dodgy to me.

Water intruding third brake light is a common phenomenon on Toyota Aygo MK2.  It takes nothing more than 30 minutes and a tube of silicone to fix.  Of cause, dealer will never use silicone, as they insist on replace everything.

But still 5 - 30 minutes is all it takes to take the old one out, then replace with a new one.

For this, they want to charge a £275 "Strip Down Charge"?  For a car that was supposed to be under warranty?

Demand to see their manager.  If they refuse to honour the repair free of charge, get the newspaper involve.  E.g.  Go to "The Guardian", report this issue and they will make a news article from it.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links