Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advise against updating Smart Connect Plus with latest map

RabButler

As recorded elsewhere, my update to the Map database using the Spring 2024 update failed with "29 minutes" to go. My Toyota dealer informed me today that the head unit is "fried" and is going to cost me £6000 to replace as the problem was caused by my corrupted USB. It isn't fried because everything apart from the Satnav works. The update download, transfer to USB and installation were carried out exactly as directed in the Toyota website. The dealer claims that there were extra folders on the USB, which there were, installed 2 days ago by the head unit when it popped up with "No data on USB", presumably when it tried to open audio files and didn't find any (Folders are: "Android" and "LOST.DIR").

Dealer is going to approach Toyota to see if they will handle it as a warranty issue, but are not optimistic.

Be warned, if you are considering taking up Toyota's offer of a DIY map update, it might be expensive!

• Sad 2

the head unit should not cost anything like £6k, more like £1-1.5k imo

I would double check your USB stick is correctly set up using a Windows computer.

Mac devices install hidden files on USB sticks that upset the update.

Reboot the infotainment unit & try the update again.

29 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

I would double check your USB stick is correctly set up using a Windows computer.

Hmm. Done at least 12 updates on usbs formatted and downloaded on mac pros over the years. 
what has changed recently ( post Sunoma ) that stops the update working?

52 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Not helpful. USB stick set up on a Windows PC. I don't advise anyone to reboot the infotainment system if the upload freezes.

3 hours ago, RabButler said:

As recorded elsewhere, my update to the Map database using the Spring 2024 update failed with "29 minutes" to go. My Toyota dealer informed me today that the head unit is "fried" and is going to cost me £6000 to replace as the problem was caused by my corrupted USB. It isn't fried because everything apart from the Satnav works. The update download, transfer to USB and installation were carried out exactly as directed in the Toyota website. The dealer claims that there were extra folders on the USB, which there were, installed 2 days ago by the head unit when it popped up with "No data on USB", presumably when it tried to open audio files and didn't find any (Folders are: "Android" and "LOST.DIR").

Dealer is going to approach Toyota to see if they will handle it as a warranty issue, but are not optimistic.

Be warned, if you are considering taking up Toyota's offer of a DIY map update, it might be expensive!

LOST.DIR indicates a corruption of the USB file system. I would burn the original usb as bad and format a new one with the update and retry the update from the settings menu. You said everything worked other than the satnav so it should be accessible from software updates. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links