Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross mystery that does not turn off the engine

Aldino

Has anyone found out what is the reason for the mystery that the engine often does not turn off in the Yaris Cross if you do not drive long journeys. At Toyota they say that this is normal and that there is no error in the system. I suspected that the 12v Battery was the cause, I charged the 12v Battery to 100% and the problem was not solved. The only thing that helps is driving a car on the highway for at least 40 minutes, but that only lasts for a few weeks. Some people say it's the GPF filter and some say it's the 12v Battery. The 12v battery is definitely not a problem. Does anyone have similar problems and have they found exactly what is the cause of this phenomenon. My car is 10 months old and I only have 10,000 km.  The engine turns off in EV mode when I stop at a traffic light and drive at a speed of up to 30 km per hour Normally, the EV lamp turns on when I take my foot off the gas, but now it doesn't. This also happened in the summer when the weather was warm. Fuel consumption increases and the car is a hybrid only when I stop at a traffic light. 

GPF or climate control needing to heat or cool the cabin.

There's no error if the computer says there's no error. If an error does come you're covered with the warranty, so don't worry just drive!

I actually find that even in Eco the throttle is very sensitive and a 5mm difference is enough for it to not come out of petrol mode once up to speed.

I presume you are coming off the gas and back on gently to kick it into EV mode even at higher speeds? 

I must admit I’m a bit disappointed it isn’t easier in ECO than it is in Nirmal or Sport tbh. It seems to me the desensitising of the throttle in ECO is not as great as it could be, that or it kicks in once run in a bit more as I only have 500 miles on the clock..

48 minutes ago, ThomasL said:

GPF or climate control needing to heat or cool the cabin.

There's no error if the computer says there's no error. If an error does come you're covered with the warranty, so don't worry just drive!

Climate Control is Not 100%

1 hour ago, HarryW2024 said:

This is my third Hybrid Auto. I had a Prius 3 and a Prius 4 and I never had these problems. Sport or Eco mode or lightly pressing the gas pedal has nothing to do with this problem. 

Just now, Aldino said:

This is my third Hybrid Auto. I had a Prius 3 and a Prius 4 and I never had these problems. Sport or Eco mode or lightly pressing the gas pedal has nothing to do with this problem. 

1 minute ago, Aldino said:

All Toyota hybrids since gen 3 behave exactly the same way. 
The three main reasons are 

1. HVAC settings 

2. Low 12v battery 

3. Hybrid Battery - conditioning 

If you haven’t noticed previously on other hybrids it’s fine but guaranteed that all the cars definitely does that.
Nothing wrong with it. Just enjoy your car and that’s all.

Most common reasons are 1) the GPF regen (We suspect) or 2) the engine is too cold and the heating is on (Only when it's cold outside)

To test for 1), drive around in B mode for a few minutes - The engine braking forces more fresh air through the exhaust which helps it regen the particulate filter faster (I suspect) and then it goes back to its normal behaviour

To test for 2), turn the HVAC off.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Most common reasons are 1) the GPF regen (We suspect) or 2) the engine is too cold and the heating is on (Only when it's cold outside)

To test for 1), drive around in B mode for a few minutes - The engine braking forces more fresh air through the exhaust which helps it regen the particulate filter faster (I suspect) and then it goes back to its normal behaviour

To test for 2), turn the HVAC off.

I also think that the problem is in the GPF regeneration, but why don't Toyota know what causes this problem. 

are you trying to drive the car by pressing the EV button

A bad 12v Battery will do it especially if it has gone flat a few times, it may charge fine but it loses capacity, get the Battery tested and check what the CCA rate is

4 minutes ago, Aldino said:

I also think that the problem is in the GPF regeneration, but why don't Toyota know what causes this problem. 

It's considered normal behaviour. Also most dealers don't know jack about how the cars work sadly

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links