Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid RAV4 AWD Hill Descent Control

Mrs Scoobington

Hey all,

Hoping for some feedback.  Thinking of the above variant, but one essential for me is Hill Descent Control.  I am amazed the RAV doesn't have it when the Yaris Cross AWD does!!

Anywho, guy at the dealership said switch into low gear and you'll slow the engine to get the same effect, BUT a) CVT gearbox....how? and b) engine braking isn't the same as the 'crab crawl' of the HDC....or so I believe.

Any thoughts re the above would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 1

I was also surprised at this. Had come from a Peugeot 3008 hybrid4 GT300 PHEV and that had it. Stops you having to worry about brake pedal and the accelerator, and just concentrate on steering as you crawl downhill at a constant speed. 

On the gear stick there should be S mode. And a plus and minus selector. You can nudge the gearing down or up which probably maintains the CVT in a particularly gear ratio region. I've not tried this yet. It's probably also the only reason I can see for using the flappy paddles on my GRS.

1 hour ago, Mrs Scoobington said:

Hoping for some feedback.  Thinking of the above variant, but one essential for me is Hill Descent Control.  I am amazed the RAV doesn't have it when the Yaris Cross AWD does!!

I had a "hill descent control" function on my RAV 4.4 (D-CAT Auto) and used it twice - never in 'anger'. It allows the driver to set a descent speed and holds the car at that speed without further intervention from the driver.

The 4.5 hybrid doesn't have anything of that sort, and, honestly, I don't miss it - light pressure on the brake pedal will initiate regeneration, slow the car and prevent it for running away.

I was a little surprised that the Yaris Cross (AWD) had such a function, but it does! It's not Hill Descent Control but a Downhill Assist Control (DAC) system. From the description in the Owner's Manual, when switched on, it simply applies the brakes for you.

I'm surprised that you would regard it as an essential ... 😉

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links