Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X 24MY review - The perfect rental car

TonyHSD

My Spanish holiday is over and so is the week of enjoyment of the latest Aygo X. 
Here is my two cents about the car, my likes, surprises and dislikes. 
First impressions were very good. 
I picked up the car from the airport car park. It’s a Toyota so although I never driven Aygo x before everything felt familiar and very natural. Start up the engine with a key was strange but more surprisingly was how well the engine bay is insulated, no engine noise, no vibrations, nothing, I thought the engine didn’t started at first. So far so good. The seat is comfortable but not so much as bigger cars like Corolla, seating position very good and visibility ahead is also perfect with exception of the mirror and dashboard gap,which seems smaller than other models. The clutch is very soft and easy to operate, gear changes really smooth for a small car , I love it from the first meter of driving it. Road noise, well very quiet car indeed. Suspension set up is excellent, soft over bumps and road imperfections with typical Toyota crashing knocks over sharper and deeper potholes. The tyres were 17” Michelin e premacy, absolutely wonderful ones. The car chases feels stiff and with softer suspension that provides excellent handling at any speed. Steering wheel super light but very precise and I think it gets heavier at higher speeds. Power and acceleration, well the engine is underpowered and this becomes quickly obvious but if you don’t expect super car performance I think it’s perfectly fine for daily drives. Brakes are great and it does have very useful and perfectly working hill start assist. I was using this quite often. The fuel consumption was similar to am hybrid 5.3l/100km average. The Apple car play was a pleasant surprise too. So easy to connect and use maps and music streaming from YouTube tube. 
Now what I didn’t liked:

First was the beeping noises all the time about speeds. Inaccurate speed limits warnings too.
Second was  the lane track assist or whatever’s is called, and the fact that the car offered me brakes and coffee icons , haha I thought it comes with cabin crew assist. 
Side visibility- hm rear windows are small and with huge c pillars together with shale or the front seats head rest makes side visibility almost non existent, it’s like driving a panel van. 
The manual AC is a huge minus imo, the auto hvac worth every penny and makes it must have extra . 
Rear space on the seats it’s ok but doors opening extremely narrow and complain was made straightforward after my first passenger pick up. Boot space ok. And that’s pretty much most of it. I will post some pictures tomorrow. 
All the comparison was based on my driving experience from my Auris and Corolla hybrid that I had test driven before. 
The Aygo X for me it’s a real deal small car, better than expected and even considering buying one. 👌

• Like 6

it must be the 2024 ones that have started with beeping warnings as my 2023 one doesn't do any audible warnings for speed. Apparently this can be adjusted in the settings menu.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review, hope you enjoyed your holiday as well, sounds like it from the Aygo X review.

Not surprised about the rear seats/doors, that was my first worry when I saw initial Aygo X pics, but our Mk1 and Mk2 are 3 doors so less of an issue for what we use our for. Not a fan of the pop out rear windows, but put that down to the others Mk1 5 door rear window issues, which was an ignored manufacturer problem for years until they sorted it eventually and rear visability I will let slide cos other cars are also not that good, case of form over function, and manufacturers will argue well you got a rear view camera and/or parking sensors!

But good to hear that basically Toyota have got it right with Aygo X, not surprised as they improved the Mk2 over Mk1 and now the Aygo X (Mk3?) has hopefully moved the game on yet again. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links