Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Travelling into France from UK mph to kph

Mereside

Hi all,

Just got back from a 3 weeks holiday in France and swapping mph to kph for the speedometer.

I did a post before I went but some useful points I found when doing this.

To change it was easy. Go to settings, units, then km/L. This is where the witchcraft, magic and electrickery happens.

The speedo goes to KPH, the display for distance the car has covered from new goes to Km as does the trip. The display for fuel to empty also changes, which is useful as the sat nav also changes to Km which allows you to know if you need to fill up before arriving at destination.

Also of note (which I didn't realise before), as you enter a new country the sat nav identifies the basic requirements for you e.g.  drink drive limit, first aid kit and some others that I forgot. It did this when I went into France, then again into Spain, Andorra and back into France.

I also used the 'Bip and Go' toll payment system, you pay the same money but it saves arguments stopping and finding the money/bank card to pay the toll and not parking close enough for passenger to reach the payment machine. Obviously my wife and I have never had such arguments (this is a lie) but some people do and this just saves the hassle. I know its sad but I found it exciting that you don't know whether it will work when you drive up to the barrier/drive through lane the first few times you do it. It does work and is worth the initial purchase price (I think it was £10 to get the transponder and £1.90 for each month it is used. If you only use it for one month like I did you do not pay any more until you use it again.

Probably off topic but I did around 1800 miles and when I got back the car was showing 51mpg.

Anyway hope this was of some use.

Nigel

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mereside said:

Hi all,

Just got back from a 3 weeks holiday in France and swapping mph to kph for the speedometer.

I did a post before I went but some useful points I found when doing this.

To change it was easy. Go to settings, units, then km/L. This is where the witchcraft, magic and electrickery happens.

The speedo goes to KPH, the display for distance the car has covered from new goes to Km as does the trip. The display for fuel to empty also changes, which is useful as the sat nav also changes to Km which allows you to know if you need to fill up before arriving at destination.

Also of note (which I didn't realise before), as you enter a new country the sat nav identifies the basic requirements for you e.g.  drink drive limit, first aid kit and some others that I forgot. It did this when I went into France, then again into Spain, Andorra and back into France.

I also used the 'Bip and Go' toll payment system, you pay the same money but it saves arguments stopping and finding the money/bank card to pay the toll and not parking close enough for passenger to reach the payment machine. Obviously my wife and I have never had such arguments (this is a lie) but some people do and this just saves the hassle. I know its sad but I found it exciting that you don't know whether it will work when you drive up to the barrier/drive through lane the first few times you do it. It does work and is worth the initial purchase price (I think it was £10 to get the transponder and £1.90 for each month it is used. If you only use it for one month like I did you do not pay any more until you use it again.

Probably off topic but I did around 1800 miles and when I got back the car was showing 51mpg.

Anyway hope this was of some use.

Nigel

Useful thanks. How do you get the MPG for the entire trip instead of individual journeys - or did you reset the total mpg to zero on leaving?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links