Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Please ,1st time owner Toyota corolla Hybrid 2020

Steve 100

I have had My car a month now, and need some advice regarding driving a Hybrid, I rougthly drive twice a week maybe 30 miles , I have noticed since the weather has got colder the cars ICE comes on more frequently. When in traffic it will startup the petrol engine and rev  slightly to 1.5K  then will  go back to normal . Is this the ICE charging the Battery ?

Also I find early morning starts the ICE fires up and goes back  to electric, Forgive my ignorance i just wanted to know basically how the Hybrid car works/ drive as a 1st time owner of these great cars.  Thank you for your replies . I know that obviously the Battery is needing more charge etc , but wanted to check if everything is ok .

Steve

Sounds perfectly normal. You will probably find the ICE 'kicking in' more often as the weather gets colder. Out of interest, how long does it take to do your 30 mile journey?

• Like 1

In cold weather the ICE will not only start to charge the Battery, it will start in order to provide heat for the cabin.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies  , The journey normally takes 1 hour due to  mostly traffic when going to work, stop and go traffic

Essex to Kent  rush hour

I wouldn't worry too much - the hybrid system just seems to do what it wants! Esp. this time of year, as it gets colder, its behaviour changes from the summer months, esp. with the engine starting when you're not expecting it to or running for longer than you're used to.

99% of the time it seems to be down to engine temperature being lower than the system would like, so it runs it more to raise it.

I mitigate it by taking longer faster roads which, due to the horrendous traffic in London's urban roads thanks to the best efforts of KHAAAAAN! and the local borough authorities, ends up taking practically the same amount of time :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links