Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Infotainment auto dimming

Jamzieth

Hi All, I'm a new member and this is my first time creating a topic. I've got a MY24 PHEV GR Sport. I've come from a MY22 XC60, and so far, I love the RAV. It's almost perfect and, in my opinion, better than the Volvo (don't get me started on "premium" Volvo...they are terrible). However, there is a "feature" with the infotainment system that is currently annoying me.

The problem is that the screen brightness seems to be pretty schischizophrenic and far too sensitive. Whenever I drive through the shade, under trees, bridges etc. It dimms and then brightens again far too easily, to the point where it flickers when driving down tree lines roads. This is worse than any other car I've driven and I can imagine it getting rather distracting.  Other cars let you override the auto-dimming and then set a permanent brightness (I like it bright at all times, but right now I'd settle for any constant level of brightness).

I know that this has been asked numerous times on other platforms before, but it seems a while ago since this was last visited (12 months-ish).

Is there a solution, other than turning the display off, leaving auto lights off or just trying to ignore it?

For reference this is a PHEV MY24, it doesn't seem to have a brightness wheel to the left or right of the steering wheel in order for me to click it all the way to the very top. Brightness is set to full in all modes (Daylight, daytime in the shade (yes these are different settings) and nighttime), on both the driver's display and infotainment screen. I've turned auto day/night to permanent night (I've tried permanent day, it's the same and I prefer dark mode - It's less abrasive). I've set light sensitivity to "darker".

To add further context, the other day I drove in and out of a multistory car park to trigger the change and adjust the "daylight" setting down, trying to match the two brightnesses in the hope that I could ease the transition.  I found that in the shade, screen set to brightest, it is almost the same as fully lowering the brightness when in the sun (but still noticeably dimmer).   It's close enough that maybe it wouldn't bother me flickering on and off in my peripheral vision, except this is then too dim for me to properly use when in daylight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamzieth said:

Hi All, I'm a new member and this is my first time creating a topic. I've got a MY24 PHEV GR Sport. I've come from a MY22 XC60, and so far, I love the RAV. It's almost perfect and, in my opinion, better than the Volvo (don't get me started on "premium" Volvo...they are terrible). However, there is a "feature" with the infotainment system that is currently annoying me.

The problem is that the screen brightness seems to be pretty schischizophrenic and far too sensitive. Whenever I drive through the shade, under trees, bridges etc. It dimms and then brightens again far too easily, to the point where it flickers when driving down tree lines roads. This is worse than any other car I've driven and I can imagine it getting rather distracting.  Other cars let you override the auto-dimming and then set a permanent brightness (I like it bright at all times, but right now I'd settle for any constant level of brightness).

I know that this has been asked numerous times on other platforms before, but it seems a while ago since this was last visited (12 months-ish).

Is there a solution, other than turning the display off, leaving auto lights off or just trying to ignore it?

For reference this is a PHEV MY24, it doesn't seem to have a brightness wheel to the left or right of the steering wheel in order for me to click it all the way to the very top. Brightness is set to full in all modes (Daylight, daytime in the shade (yes these are different settings) and nighttime), on both the driver's display and infotainment screen. I've turned auto day/night to permanent night (I've tried permanent day, it's the same and I prefer dark mode - It's less abrasive). I've set light sensitivity to "darker".

To add further context, the other day I drove in and out of a multistory car park to trigger the change and adjust the "daylight" setting down, trying to match the two brightnesses in the hope that I could ease the transition.  I found that in the shade, screen set to brightest, it is almost the same as fully lowering the brightness when in the sun (but still noticeably dimmer).   It's close enough that maybe it wouldn't bother me flickering on and off in my peripheral vision, except this is then too dim for me to properly use when in daylight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

🎉 

You can change the Infotainment screen brightness in the options, including a separate setting for camera display brightness.

The brightness of drivers display, and I think infotainment display including night Vs day mode, and your head lights if set to Auto, seems to be moded off a single option in the Infotainment menu. I think it's called sensitivity and probably under the car customisation settings. It has settings like dark, darker, etc. In other words,how dark does it need to get before the brightness change occurs (and everything else I mentioned). 

I had the same issue as you.  I put it on the lowest sensitivity. It's now fine and isn't flip flopping. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links