Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 PHEV GR - 2 questions / wireless charger and EV Cable

Paul1905

Hi, has anyone managed to get the wireless charger working with a particular iPhone case that they could recommend. I can only get it work without a case!

I need a shorter EV charging cable and just a bit confused about the spec I need on the cable outside of it being a type 2. Do I need a 16A, 32A, single phase, triple phase?

I’ve got a home EV charger, want to get a 3m cable for ease and would like it to be compatible with public chargers too for convenience 

thank you

• Like 1

I've got one of these.

EV Extras Type 2 3 metres EV Charging Cable 32 amp (7.4KW) Green https://amzn.eu/d/a1z2szY

The car is limited to 6.6kW but the system on the car works out what it needs to draw. Should take about 2.5hrs from empty to full Battery.

Can't help on iPhones as I have Android. But, are you aware of the 3 press trick? Press the charging plate 3 times in quick succession. Light should alternate orange and green I think. I think this boosts the charging plate power. So that's worth a try.

5 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I've got one of these.

EV Extras Type 2 3 metres EV Charging Cable 32 amp (7.4KW) Green https://amzn.eu/d/a1z2szY

The car is limited to 6.6kW but the system on the car works out what it needs to draw. Should take about 2.5hrs from empty to full battery.

Can't help on iPhones as I have Android. But, are you aware of the 3 press trick? Press the charging plate 3 times in quick succession. Light should alternate orange and green I think. I think this boosts the charging plate power. So that's worth a try.

Thank you

does the EV cable work with public chargers?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul1905 said:

Yes, and no ... it's a Type 2 cable that is usable with single phase AC chargers up to 7.4 kW (32A).

Publicly available chargers include:

• Single phase Type 2 AC fast chargers up to 7.4 kW - that cable will work with these
  • Three phase Type 2 AC fast chargers up to and beyond 22 kW - I believe that the cable should work with these (as a single phase device) but someone else may know better.
  • DC rapid chargers - neither the cable nor the PHEV is compatible with these.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul1905 said:

Thank you

As Philip says, it depends on the charger. However, most car parks I park on are 7.4kW single phase and occasionally 3 phase. I just plug it in. If the cable fits it will work, has been my approach. Since it takes 2.5hrs to get to a full charge the only sensible time to charge the car has been on public car parks when I'm shopping in town, at the hospital, at the supermarket. And only if it is free! Most chargers around however will charge an arm and a leg to a point where cost per mile is now as expensive or more expensive than petrol noting the RAV can do upwards of 50mpg. 

If you are planning to charge when you are out and about I'd recommend a cable longer than 3m because of the usual parking shannigans.

2 hours ago, Torrox said:

Yeh that should make no difference.

But... I'd try the 3 button press thing.

And, I saw I US video which said, make sure you press start on the car then switch on the pad then put your phone on the pad otherwise the motorised unit under the pad which moves around to find your phone induction coil won't do it's job.

The phone gets found. The whirring starts but it then won’t charge. 

it’s a combo of the case probably being too thick and/or the camera lenses not allowing a flush connection but I’m going to try this case!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paul1905 said:

The phone gets found. The whirring starts but it then won’t charge. 

it’s a combo of the case probably being too thick and/or the camera lenses not allowing a flush connection but I’m going to try this case!!!

Could be Apple. They like you to buy only their stuff 😂.

I have had all kinds of thick non metal cases on 3 different Samsung android phones over the years and not had any issues of any kind with wireless charging pads including the one in the car, although I've rarely ever used it as I just plug the phone into the USB.

Did you try the 3 quick presses in succession option?

I have had no problem with wireless charging with my phone case.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links