Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying used Corolla Estate, should I consider Swace?

BigWorm

Wife and I are pretty much set on going for a Corolla Estate second hand for about £16k. Seemed to be plenty of option and have read the different posts here about 1.8 or 2 litre engine. However, I have seen the Swace mentioned a few times and in my car searching you seem to be able to get much newer, lower mileage second hand ones compared to what you pay for a Corolla. So now Im wondering if this is an option I should be considering - are the Swaces pretty much Corolla's in all but name or will that sort of talk get me kicked out of here quicker than I joined!

Otherwise would be good to hear what current Corolla owners would avoid or look out for when picking a second hand Corolla - seems like there are plenty of option around a '20 or '21 with about 50k miles.

The Swace is a clone of the Corolla Touring Sport to help them achieve their fleet average emissions. Both built by Toyota at Burnaston. There are some differences in specs.

If you intend servicing the car via a main dealer, Suzuki's service generated extended warranty is different to Toyota's Relax warranty and is for up to 7 years rather than 10.

Suzuki will stop new Swace sales together with 3 other models, from early 2025 as part of their electrification plans.

It's near as dammit a corolla bar a few trim bits and tail light is illuminated differently, warrenty is different but as it's probably the most reliable car you can get anyway I wouldn't worry. 

They are defo worth a look. 

Thanks for the input. I think the Toyota warranty only kicks in for card registered after June 2021 and I think those tend to be higher priced, or much higher mileage. The concern was hearing the discontinuation of the model but Im guessing if its all Toyota the parts will be easy to get.

18 minutes ago, BigWorm said:

I think the Toyota warranty only kicks in for card registered after June 2021

No. The Toyota Relax service generated extended warranty applies when the new car warranty (5 years/100,000 miles or 3 years/60,000 miles) expires or is near to expiry, and is activated when the car is serviced by a Toyota dealer. Applicable up to when the car either reaches 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The Suzuki has slightly different servicing intervals - 12 months or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first.

The Suzuki one will make more sense for those who doesn’t really care about warranties, dealer service or sourcing parts as all that can be done via either dealer or as aftermarket. 
The 1.8 variant offered by Suzuki and Toyota are the safer bet since 2.0 are known to have issues that can end up as expensive repairs, engine replacements and warranty hassle. In my humble opinion if you find a good Suzuki at much better deal and mileage in generally good conditions can make it even better buy. Some of these even comes better specs than Corolla equivalent. All down to personal preferences and choices. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links