Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cablegate, UK, Warranty help please

Thinkingaboutit

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a used rav4 in the UK, I have seen a car I like but am concerned about AWD versions due to what I've read about Cablegate.  I'm hoping you can help me with some questions I'm struggling to find answers to.

Based on what I've read, am I right in assuming that the corrosion is inevitable, its just been seen more rapidly in certain locations?  

Does anyone know how big a problem it is in the UK?  Is it covered under the extended up to 10 years warranty? (I wrote to Toyota and didn't get a clear answer)

Does anyone know a rough cost to repair if not covered by warranty. 

Thanks. 

See the attached for the Relax warranty terms & conditions, and coverage:

Realistically as regards how big an issue this is in the UK, we can only go by reported issues on the forum.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2024 at 1:30 PM, Thinkingaboutit said:

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a used rav4 in the UK, I have seen a car I like but am concerned about AWD versions due to what I've read about Cablegate.  I'm hoping you can help me with some questions I'm struggling to find answers to.

Based on what I've read, am I right in assuming that the corrosion is inevitable, its just been seen more rapidly in certain locations?  

Does anyone know how big a problem it is in the UK?  Is it covered under the extended up to 10 years warranty? (I wrote to Toyota and didn't get a clear answer)

Does anyone know a rough cost to repair if not covered by warranty. 

Thanks. 

Do you know which model years are definitely affected? I have a 2023 PHEV, as far as I know, it's not an issue. But I might be incorrect on that. 

I thought I'd read Phev doesn't have the problem but I'm new to this. 

Does anyone know the cost of repair in the UK?  Just thinking of worst case scenario. 

I don't think that we do. There have been so few cases reported on the forum (i.e. ~ zero) that we know very little about it.

I can't think of any obvious reason why the PHEV would be any more or less susceptible to the issue than the HEV.

The simple fact that reports are appending "-gate" to the alleged problem does tend to make it sound something of an exaggerated myth ... 😉 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links