Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mazda 2 Hybrid with HUD saga

r44flyer

After a cracked windscreen on our Mazda 2 Hybrid, just a quick warning to anyone that has to have a screen replacement on a HUD equipped model...

Our saga started in July 2024 when a chip grew into a long crack across the bottom of the screen.
No problem we thought, contact insurance, pay excess, get it replaced.
We ended up with a crappy Fuyao after market screen which created a double image for the HUD.
Blimey it was unusable, giving you eye strain and dizziness.
We complained but it turned into a huge saga because of Autoglass and DirectLine incompetence.

In 2 weeks time we are going to Mazda Dewsbury to have a proper Mazda OEM screen fitted, which hopefully will enable HUD use again.

The internet forums are full of similar stories for HUD equipped vehicles.
So if you find yourself in this position then insist on a OEM screen.
Curious to know if anyone else has experience of this?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Had a non-OEM screen replacement on our BMW. They were upfront about the fact it was not OEM and insisted the key difference was it didn't have the "Connected Drive" tagline on it. Otherwise it would be of identical spec. If I wanted an OEM screen I would have to go directly to BMW and pay £1300 or however much they were. All that said, the non-OEM screen has worked fine as promised and there are no issues with the HUD or any of the other many gubbins that sit behind the screen. Phew! 😅

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the installer did calibrate the HUD after he installed the new screen. 

• Like 4

screens on the Yaris are specific to the car with the HUD as it has a film (PVB iirc) built into the screen, there are a few different hud display types and projection methods tho

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/automotive/agr-news/martins-adas-blog/chapter-15-hud#

• Like 5

Yes I've learned a lot more about HUD screens since July!

Autoglass did recognize it needed a special HUD screen and ADAS calibration but it's the quality of the cheap Chinese made so called equivalent glass that is the issue.
HUD screens must have variable thick layer between the two glass layers to prevent the double image.
The gradual differing angle of the layer prevents double images.
The Fuyao one we have is just total rubbish.

Incidentally, the ADAS calibration is for the lane keeping and other features on the front facing camera.

See the Fuyao double image below - it was a sharp single image on the original screen.

I don't have a photo of before - can someone kindly take a photo for me of what a sharp Mazda 2H HUD looks like?

Windscreen Fuyao Replacement 03.jpg

20240719_175456.jpg

• Like 2

That is so strange! When I had mine replace, I was very explicit with both Autoglass and Toyota that I had a HUD, but they both only found one part number for the Yaris windscreen and when I insisted they check, they said their system didn't show a different windscreen for the HUD and non-HUD models!

I may have dodged a bullet though, as Autoglass couldn't get hold of a windscreen for 3 months and my (Now former!) insurer let me get the dealer to do it instead. Was over a grand though! :eek: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, r44flyer said:

See the Fuyao double image below - it was a sharp single image on the original screen.

That looks like the effect of a normal screen - there is a reflection from the inside surface and another from the outside. Any HUD screen needs to ensure there is only a reflection from one surface, which I'd expect to be in inside one as a rule, and that needs some special treatment.

I'm curious about "Acoustic HUD". A bit of googling coming up ...

• Like 2

Oh, interesting.

I think the acoustic and the HUD are kinda separate features. I found this page quite quickly

SaflexTM HUD/QHUD

What really caught my eye is the diagrams about half way down that show how they can get the inside and outside reflections to be 'as one' to the driver. Fascinating.

Makes me wonder if @r44flyer has been given a LHD screen?

• Like 1

This piqued my interest as someone with a HUD for the first time, it might be I need to be aware/wary in the future….

A quick trawl through the tinternet shows there are many complaints with non OEM windscreens and issues with HUDS and ADAS systems, particularly with Yusao (Chinese) aftermarket ones…. 

duly noted…

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HarryW2024 said:

This piqued my interest as someone with a HUD for the first time, it might be I need to be aware/wary in the future….

A quick trawl through the tinternet shows there are many complaints with non OEM windscreens and issues with HUDS and ADAS systems, particularly with Yusao (Chinese) aftermarket ones…. 

duly noted…

Not sure where Yusao came from…. I meant Fuyao…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Oh, interesting.

I think the acoustic and the HUD are kinda separate features. I found this page quite quickly

SaflexTM HUD/QHUD

Yep, that's the site I found too.
The screen is due to be replaced with a proper Mazda part at Dewsbury Mazda in just over 2 weeks time.
I'll let you all know the result.
The downside of all this is that a broken screen will take weeks to fix if you have a HUD.

ScreenShot 20241017 17-25-25.png

20 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Makes me wonder if @r44flyer has been given a LHD screen?

The first screen that Autoglass ordered didn't have the HUD marking so was never fitted because the technician spotted the HUD in the car.
2 days later they obtained the Fuyao ACOUSTIC HUD rated screen and fitted that - which now has the double image.
I suppose it's possible the Fuyao screen could have been mis-labelled or LHD but unlikely.
Autoglass were fully aware the car had HUD on the 2nd visit and the screen was obtained very quickly within the UK.

Also Autoglass don't have access to Mazda parts data because they couldn't identify the correct OEM part insisting it was a Toyota!
A visit to Auto Windscreens identified the part number from their Mazda database access.
Then Nick at Dewsbury Mazda Service found the very same part in less than a minute.

More Google'ing shows that Fuyao supply screens for many other vehicle brands and they all report similar double image problems.
So it's more likely that its due to very poor quality than anything else.

• Like 1

Mazda hud

20241018_122435.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, takis1964 said:

Mazda hud

20241018_122435.jpg

Thanks Takis

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links