Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery issueson Yaris cross

Willow 1

Was looking to buy 24/74 reg Yaris cross but concerned about the 12v Battery problems that have been reported. Anyone had issues or can recommend this car?

It's a good car. Drive regularly and it's not problem, have a 'small' read on the above thread 12v maintenance. 

• Like 1

My (non-Cross) Yaris Mk4 is over 3 years old, still on the original known-duff Battery, has never failed to start.

If you use it regularly enough that the insane mpg will pay off vs a normal car, you most likely won't have a problem.

If it's going to sit for weeks then do a short town trip, most of the time, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have a secret weekend hooligan sunday driver persona, I would also recommend one :whistling1: :naughty:

• Like 2

Can’t see a thread on 12v maintenance? Only do about 4000 miles per year driving 5-6 days a week. 

• Like 1

It's the sticky thread at the top. Not sure doing such a low mileage is worth getting a hybrid. There are cheaper non hybrid for that mileage unless one is after the hybrid drive. Electric car may be better if can charge at home. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Not sure doing such a low mileage is worth getting a hybrid. ... Electric car may be better if can charge at home. 

Given the high cost of the cars the economics of an EV are probably even worse than hybrids for low mileages. One reason I got rid of my EV.

• Like 2

Used ev have come down a lot in price.

1 hour ago, Willow 1 said:

Can’t see a thread on 12v maintenance? Only do about 4000 miles per year driving 5-6 days a week. 

See: 

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Used ev have come down a lot in price.

Yes. Because people are 'concerned' about Battery life and the public charging infrastructure. I can't say they're wrong. If you only have a fairly short daily use and home charging they make sense ... anything more demanding gets interesting very quickly.

It's becoming more and more apparent that Toyota made the right call, at least in logical ways, about hybrids being the way forward in the medium term. BEVs for all is a decade or more away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Willow 1 said:

On that amount of miles you would need to either use a trickle charger and/or use Ready Mode to keep the 12v Battery topped up and healthy or go for an ICE only engine car which here in the UK Toyota wise your limited to the ICE only Toyota Aygo X with bonkers tyre sizes. I ended up going second hand ICE only with a Yaris because i didn't care for either of them options given i do around the same miles as yourself.

Edited by Eddie G
Added information

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links