Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Installing reverse camera

justin46

Hi eveybody

My father in-law recently brought a 2017 Aygo and hes over the moon with it apart from the basic head unit. After some research he found out that he could install a 2 button touch screen ( not the more expensive 3 button version )

He has also purchased a number plate reversing camera and an adaptor lead.

I know this is going to be too good to be true but apart from splicing into the revers light is it all just plug and play?

The first pic is of the head unit he currently has and the rest are the other bits he has broughtstandard.thumb.webp.3416b8effafb250c7776910c194d2307.webp

2button.thumb.jpg.ce41b3ff6eb8407a344bf9a06f74832e.jpgcamera.thumb.webp.2685d9b263646c16893beddd6fcb65b6.webpharness.thumb.webp.d7ba05a846e9e44d3791a1693125afb9.webp

Has anybody done this upgrade and install before?

Thanks

You don't need to tap into the reverse camera:

1. The camera on the original were hot with accessories.  By insert the key, turn one notch, the camera will be on regardless you select reverse or not.

2. The voltage supplied to the camera is 6v, aftermarket typically ran on 12v.  So you'll need to source accessory +12v for the camera.  (Fusebox is directly above throttle peddle).

3. Reverse signal "Should be" already incorporated into the headunit's wiring harness.  So you shouldn't have to do anything to tell the headunit that the car is going into reverse.

• Like 1

As Vandals said, the head unit detects through its own wiring that the car has gone into reverse.  I fitted a reverse camera to my daughters 2016 Peugeot 108 (same 2 button head unit) and the camera is permanently live once the engine is turned on (I piggybacked a fuse in the fusebox.

I ran the power down the driver's side under the door rubbers & the video feed up the passenger side to the headunit.

Some cheaper cameras have mini LEDs round the camera (probably as night vision is poor) and these would have an issue if the camera was permanently live.

16 hours ago, Vandals01 said:

1. The camera on the original were hot with accessories.  By insert the key, turn one notch, the camera will be on regardless you select reverse or not.

2. The voltage supplied to the camera is 6v, aftermarket typically ran on 12v.  So you'll need to source accessory +12v for the camera.  (Fusebox is directly above throttle peddle).

3. Reverse signal "Should be" already incorporated into the headunit's wiring harness.  So you shouldn't have to do anything to tell the headunit that the car is going into reverse.

Thank you your your reply.

What wire do I need to use to supply the 12v needed to power the camera?

Thanks 

16 hours ago, Vandals01 said:

So the 12v will be needed to power the camera? 

I thought that the 12v would come from tapping into the reverse light bulb? 

The 12v power line for the camera is the red plug on the camera 

power the camera off the reverse light(s), the only time you need to wire the 6v regulator is if you are using the OEM factory camera

think there is some confusion here - there are 2 types of adapters

RT - Retention

This allows  you to retain the factory camera this has a voltage regulator to power the camera when fitting an aftermarket radio

AD - Addition

Lets you add an aftermarket camera to a factory radio (no voltage regulator) just connections

eg.

27-226.jpeg

Edit. if the basic factory radio does not have bluetooth you will need to add a factory Mic (located by the interior light)

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

power the camera off the reverse light(s), the only time you need to wire the 6v regulator is if you are using the OEM factory camera

think there is some confusion here - there are 2 types of adapters

RT - Retention

This allows  you to retain the factory camera this has a voltage regulator to power the camera when fitting an aftermarket radio

AD - Addition

Lets you add an aftermarket camera to a factory radio (no voltage regulator) just connections

eg.

27-226.jpeg

Edit. if the basic factory radio does not have Bluetooth you will need to add a factory Mic (located by the interior light)

The camera is an aftermarket one so will I need the addition loom as per the picture you added? 

The current basic head unit I believe does have bluetooth so the mic would already be in place? Is there any way of doing a visual inspection? 

pop the light down and see if you have the mic

the AD lead is the one you need, prices are all over the place

most use the connects2 part No. CAM-TY5-AD

18 minutes ago, flash22 said:

pop the light down and see if you have the mic

the AD lead is the one you need, prices are all over the place

most use the connects2 part No. CAM-TY5-AD

Thank mate you've been a massive help. 

One last thing, I don't suppose you know what connector type is needed for the DAB antenna? The current head unit just has FM/AM 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links