Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New RAV4 PHEV charging issues

Jerbs

On 10/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, Jerbs said:

Afternoon all

I've had my 74 plate RAV4 PHEV Design for about 7 weeks now, and I'm having a few problems with charging and readings to my smart meter, see below:

1. My RAV is scheduled to charge between midnight and 5am. I plug the cable into the Toyota Home Charger at about 10pm then into the RAV and the charger doesn't lock into place, it only locks when charging starts at 12am. Correct me if I'm wrong but surely it should lock into place when the connecter is inserted, despite the schedule kicking in later?

2. Since my Toyota Home Charger was installed, I can no longer see my energy usage for my tariff despite my smart meter settings sending readings every 30 minutes. I'm with EDF and have a tariff that provides cheaper electricity between 12am and 5am, but I'm worried I'm going to be charged at the higher tariff if the smart meter isn't providing readings. EDF have been 'looking into it' for about 3 weeks now.

3. Does the smart meter in-home-display work with EV tariffs? Since my charger has been installed I no longer can see my electricity usage on the IHD (probably linked to the issue above). I raised this with EDF and was told that all EV tariffs don't provide data on the IHD.

Many thanks

Coming in late to this but here goes:  I advise having a tethered cable when ordering your charger. So much less fuss. I also advise that my OHME charger is trouble free and works well with the Toyota apps and the Ohme app, together with the Octopus Intelligent Go tariff. My in house smart meter is incapable of seeing the tariffs BUT it DOES accurately register the KwHs used whenever I charge overnight from 2330 - 0600 at 7p per KwH.  I plug in the tethered cable. Almost immediately the plug locks into place. The charger registered "Deferred charge" and my Ohme App instantly shows what hours during the night it will charge.  The next morning my smartmeter shows the KwH used and the Toyota app shows how many miles I have secured. Octopus are currently distributing a device invented by them which over-rides the smart meter and gives tariff prices and greater control over information. I am still waiting for mine. See their website. WARNING: if you go back to the car and unlock to (for instance) retrieve your phone etc it will cancel the charge programme and you will need to unplug the charger lead and start over. Otherwise you will find, as I did, that the car has not charged next morning. BIG PS:  I have a sign in our entrance hall reminding me and my wife to lock the keys as we come in.  (Press Lock and whilst holding it press Unlock twice. Release. The red light will flash four times and the key is switched off. Keyless unlock will not work next time you start but the key will. This saves on key Battery life and reduces the chance of theft.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Coming in late to this but here goes:  I advise having a tethered cable when ordering your charger. So much less fuss. I also advise that my OHME charger is trouble free and works well with the Toyota apps and the Ohme app, together with the Octopus Intelligent Go tariff. My in house smart meter is incapable of seeing the tariffs BUT it DOES accurately register the KwHs used whenever I charge overnight from 2330 - 0600 at 7p per KwH.  I plug in the tethered cable. Almost immediately the plug locks into place. The charger registered "Deferred charge" and my Ohme App instantly shows what hours during the night it will charge.  The next morning my smartmeter shows the KwH used and the Toyota app shows how many miles I have secured. Octopus are currently distributing a device invented by them which over-rides the smart meter and gives tariff prices and greater control over information. I am still waiting for mine. See their website. WARNING: if you go back to the car and unlock to (for instance) retrieve your phone etc it will cancel the charge programme and you will need to unplug the charger lead and start over. Otherwise you will find, as I did, that the car has not charged next morning. BIG PS:  I have a sign in our entrance hall reminding me and my wife to lock the keys as we come in.  (Press Lock and whilst holding it press Unlock twice. Release. The red light will flash four times and the key is switched off. Keyless unlock will not work next time you start but the key will. This saves on key battery life and reduces the chance of theft.  Hope this helps. 

I am only 90% certain on this one. I think if you have the charge schedule set for every day of the week at the times you desire it won't leave the cable unlocked at any time when the vehicle is locked. If you park up, connect the charger, lock the car, unlock and open a door, then lock the car again, the charge cable will lock onto the car. I also find that if I unlock the car the cable unlocks but if left untouched, locks itself again after a short delay.

• Like 3

Just wanted to add my experience

my TApp can’t schedule.

to schedule you have to use the car schedule

if plug in before the car schedule starts and use the RFID or app to authorise the charge - the car does start to charge at the allotted time BUT the charging cable does not lock in until the charge time.

if I plug in after the charge time has started, it does not lock or charge and misses this cycle.

Tomorrow I will change my schedule to be ready from ‘and will set that as 7am when my tariff stops.

I’ve also got a pod point which just works as I hoped and i should have just stuck with that alone. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links