Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Quietest tyres?

TheMerryFlute

Hi All,

I have just bought a MY2021 Corolla and am shocked at the sheer volume of cabin noise. From what I’ve read, the best way of reducing this is getting “quiet” tyres.

Any recommendations for quietest tyres for the Corolla in the UK please?

is it worth considering the “noise reduction” foam filled tyres? Recommendations?

thanks in advance 😊

Goodyear Efficiency Grip 2. 

In a tyre test by Auto Express they recorded the lowest in-cabin noise.  

The noise rating on the tyre label refers to the drive by noise, a low rating does not necessarily mean low noise inside the cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also check the tyre pressures. High pressure can produce more road noise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Also check the tyre pressures. High pressure can produce more road noise.

Thanks Trewithy. Tyre pressures are all ok. Currently running Continental Eco Contact 6 tyres.

considering getting it sound proofed too as the noise is really aggravating my hearing condition … 😔

2 hours ago, TheMerryFlute said:

Thanks Trewithy. Tyre pressures are all ok. Currently running Continental Eco Contact 6 tyres.

considering getting it sound proofed too as the noise is really aggravating my hearing condition … 😔

Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 are one of the very best summer touring tyres indeed but they aren’t the quietest of all.
Actually the quietest tyres are all season v shaped tyres like Goodyear vector 4 season gen3 or Michelin cross climates 2 and all other similar all seasons.
These has ability to cancel road noise when tyres roll over rough asphalt, and these are the majority of uk roads. 
Plus you gonna have extra grip during snowing days. There is a small penalty though, 2-3 mpg less and a bit of firmer ride. 

• Thanks 1

If you try tyres with the foam, let us know how you find them - I'm a bit curious about those myself!

And just be glad you aren't in the Mk4 Yaris - The road noise is even worse in that! :wacko:

It's lucky I like my rock and metal to drown it out with :laugh: 

I think they've been cutting down on sound insulation to save weight and costs as the Mk4 is easily the noisiest Yaris of the 4 generations at speed.

Some members have had luck adding in noise insulation (Dynamat?) into the doors and floor and boot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If you try tyres with the foam, let us know how you find them - I'm a bit curious about those myself!

And just be glad you aren't in the Mk4 Yaris - The road noise is even worse in that! :wacko:

It's lucky I like my rock and metal to drown it out with :laugh: 

I think they've been cutting down on sound insulation to save weight and costs as the Mk4 is easily the noisiest Yaris of the 4 generations at speed.

Some members have had luck adding in noise insulation (Dynamat?) into the doors and floor and boot.

Thanks Cyker. The reduced insulation also increases the mpg so the vehicles look far more green … doesn’t help our ears though … 

I think I’m going to seriously consider the noise insulation … my Corolla is incredibly noisy even at low speeds on local streets so there’s no getting away from it …

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 are one of the very best summer touring tyres indeed but they aren’t the quietest of all.
Actually the quietest tyres are all season v shaped tyres like Goodyear vector 4 season gen3 or Michelin cross climates 2 and all other similar all seasons.
These has ability to cancel road noise when tyres roll over rough asphalt, and these are the majority of uk roads. 
Plus you gonna have extra grip during snowing days. There is a small penalty though, 2-3 mpg less and a bit of firmer ride. 

Thanks Tony HSD. I think that’s a price I’m willing to pay!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tested a Corolla excel and the car felt very well insulated from outside world with one huge negative, rear tyre noise, but I mean so much like there was a hole in the boot or rear doors were left open. That bad indeed even at 20mph. 
While my aygo x experience was a pleasant surprise, actually the quietest small car ever. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheMerryFlute said:

Thanks Cyker. The reduced insulation also increases the mpg so the vehicles look far more green … doesn’t help our ears though … 

I think I’m going to seriously consider the noise insulation … my Corolla is incredibly noisy even at low speeds on local streets so there’s no getting away from it …

Or you could develop an appreciation for heavy metal too...? :whistling1: :laugh: 

On a more serious note, one thing, in my experience at least, I've found is tyres with higher noise ratings tend to be quieter inside the car - The noise rating is for how loud the tyres are as they drive past e.g. a pedestrian so aren't a great indicator of how loud they're inside.

Whenever you've got time to kill, TyreReviews.com is a good site to trawl through if you have specific tyre models in mind, as it has lots of feedback from people who actually use the tyres, although it can be quite subjective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links